Boycott of Disney has ended

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joepunk, May 24, 2005.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I dont think so. I had never even heard of they boycott.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I agree. I don't really think that Disney cared to much anyways.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

about the only people that knows about the boycott are the homos who attend on the day in question. Having gay friends who have worked there, I can say that it didn't do squat.

Unfortunately, whereas 9 years ago they boycotted, today they'd probably try legal action... :rolleyes:

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly wasn't aware of the boycott. Wonder if the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland had any effect?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They were persistant though! 9 years is a long time to see no results! :) I mean really- I wonder what it was that made them stop?

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Those silly Christians. :)

I bet it really hurt Disney. ;) :rolleyes:

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

OK, this is strange - two films I've watched this week touch on this subject somewhat:

1. The Corporation - The very nature of corporations is that they are there to make money. Disney is a film company, but the Disney brand restricts them somewhat to making family-only entertainment. So, in order to make more money they have to have different brands such as Touchstone and Miramax so they can make the more risqué stuff - if i recall correctly the first Touchstone film was Splash - and rated 12 (PG-13 UK equiv.)...! :eek:

2. An Evening with Kevin Smith - A most entertaining double-dvd, which stretches on for close to 4 hours... at one point Smith tells an amusing annecdote about how his local catholic church tried to have his film Dogma banned - they were protesting at his local theatre etc. etc. - but of course, had not seen the film. (The humor comes in when he infiltrates the group... :D )

Anyhoo, yes - Boycotting a multinational is a bad idea. Unless you're an entire nation... In europe... Or maybe Japan...

Just thought I'd share

10. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Maybe they got 86'ed from Six Flags...

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Southern Baptist Conference was also supposed to boycott Disney parks due to Gay Days but happened more recently.

12. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Its always good to see christian group leading the fight against healthcare....this one probably had to quite because the "homos" are everywhere now. They are afraid of going outside....don't wanna "catch it".

13. iGary Guest

iGary

American "Family" Association

Run from anything with "family" in it...

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i didnt even know there wa s aboycott hahaha

doesnt seem like it was that effective

15. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Whew! Good thing. Disney was hurtin from this boycott. Eisner was pulling his hair out trying to figure out how to keep the parks open. They darn near crippled the entire Disney franchise.

16. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

The real reason they grant domestic partner benefits is not because they particularly like gays. It's because gay men and women are so ingrained in the entertainment industry that you can't run a successful entertainment conglomerate without them.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly, the world would be a terrible place without us. And besides-to work with and know us, is to like us. :)

18. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

There is a gym in Richmond called American Family Fitness, I guess people go there to run. :p

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

As silly as it was to begin with, it runs contrary to what is going on right now.

Boycotting Disneyland on that particular day would seem to make more sense. It would probably be better for their health given how over the top their reaction to a lifestyle different from theirs is.

Disneyland has a Gothic day as well, I think it started recently. Kinda spooky to see the happiest place in the world full of goths dressed in black with heavy makeup, tattoos, colored hair, and piercings.

20. michiwama macrumors newbie

I think gay men and women are pretty ingrained in all aspects of life, including religion, so I think it's difficult to run any successful endeavour without them, not just entertainment.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Phew, I'm glad this boycott is over. It was really starting to take a negative toll on my life!

22. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

If we stick together, we can get through this hard time. ;)