Boycott on Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by h0e0h, Feb 8, 2005.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

My 6 o'clock local news just told me that PETA was boycotting Kentucky Fried Chicken and Rev. Al Sharpton has called on African Americans from all over the US to join him in boycotting KFC. Now someone please tell me what is wrong with the world when people have to friggin boycott fried chicken. I mean, come one, you've got to ultimately kill it to eat it... so what does it matter how it's killed and fried? Someone please back me up here with your opinions...

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Personally I avoid KFC like the plague anyway... but there was a VERY disturbing video that surfaced from KFCs processing facility that (I believe) is the basis for this boycott.

There's humane killing of animals for food, and there is brutal torture of animals for food. I prefer to patronize places that care about the quality of life (and death) of the animals they feed you.

And none of that means I have anything against a good pile of fried chicken with potatoes and biscuits.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As someone who has had the misfortune to do maintainence work in battery farms in the (distant) past there is NO way I'd eat chicken of any sort. :eek:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, an old video that forced KFC to take immediate action against one of their suppliers (over 6 months ago.)

Plus it was at a Pilgrim's Pride chicken farm, not KFC.

Of course they'll probably boycott KFC and then buy Pilgrim's Pride products at the grocery store and think nothing of it. :rolleyes:

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think it was all that old...

Which happens to be the second largest poulty producer and a top KFC supplier...
    ad hominem... :rolleyes:

Edit: So 6 month old video is too old to do anything about?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Posted 7/20/2004 8:29 AM Updated 7/20/2004 3:18 PM

PETA video shows chicken abuse at KFC supplier

NEW YORK (AP) — An investigator for an animal rights group captured video showing chickens being kicked, stomped and thrown against a wall by workers at a supplier for KFC, which has been under pressure since last year over the treatment of animals.

---

Which came from a PETA worker who was there from October 2003 - May 2004

Edit: And KFC took immediate action, but they didn't stop buying from Pilgrim's Pride -- just products from the plant PETA had a problem with. I'm sure if PETA got more info on Pilgrim's Pride, KFC might shift to another supplier.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So?
    If I showed you a video of an employee of yours stealing moeny from the till, but it was 2-3 years old, would you assume the behavior had changed, or would you want to take some action?

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's old news, PETA's pissed that nobody went to jail -- they probably got fired and the plant put under new management.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

PETA boycotting anything is about like the Southern Baptists when they tried to boycott Disney. I'm all for it because it means less people in line in front of me.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is PETA not free to boycott whoever they want, for however asinine a reason?

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

While I basically consider PETA to be just a hair shy of being a terrorist organization, their point about humane slaughter of livestock does deserve some consideration. Al Sharpton, on the other hand, is just plain loco.

Personally, I don't go to KFC because here in North Carolina, we have a much better alternative... Bojangles. :)

12. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

the point i was trying to instill is not that they can't boycott... it was that it seems that PETA is ALWAYS boycotting for stupid crap... I mean, they boycotted PETCO for some unknown reason, now KFC... come on people, if you don't like the fact that they're killing chickens so we can consume them... then go to some burger joint... but im sure you'll see PETA after them next, cause they mistreated a cow or something...

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Just in,cannibalism no longer thought to normal behaviour by lots of people(circa 13th century).

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's not the issue. The issue is humane slaughter.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

meh, i dont like KFC all that much anyways, i tend to stay away from fast food, but i am addicted to TacoBell, darn them

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the main problem with PETA (and it's a biggie) is that they insist on conferring the same rights to ANIMALS that are normally reserved for HUMANS. Their organization's name, "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals", is inaccurate right out of the gate; they really should call it "People for the EQUAL Treatment of Animals".

The problem is, animals are not our equal. Sure, we should treat them with a certain amount of respect, but a lot of them are our food. Others are pests to be controlled or eliminated, and others just live wild. PETA would have everyone be vegans (not that there's anything wrong with being vegan, but it should be a CHOICE), and would have the animals running amok with no controls imposed on them by humans.

They do have the right to boycott anyone they want... but in my opinion, they are a bunch of hypocrites and crazies who should be watched closely.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You don't think that humane slaughter is a oxymoron like military intelligence. :confused:

18. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

This is kinda off topic, but maybe you should file suit... it works for everyone else... hey, maybe that's what should happen, someone should file suit against KFC on behalf of PETA... maybe then we'll close down every fast food chain unless they serve tofu... then someone can file suit against them because they are entirely too friendly to animals...

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

The silly part is that KFC gets its chickens from the same sources that every other restaurant chain does: industrial chicken farms. KFC chickens are no worse off (or better) than anyone else's. Unless you have some reasonable assurance that the chicken you're eating was free range or you raised and killed it yourself, you can assume that the chicken led a pretty miserable life. So PETA/Sharpton coalition should be boycotting chicken from ALL restaurants, not just KFC. Can't have it both ways.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No I do not. I am a meat eater, and have no moral problems with it when it's done right. I do object to inflicting needless suffering though.

When people post stories here about someone abusing a dog everyone responds with 'lock that guy up' all the way to 'death penalty' comments. Yet when it's a chicken suddenly no one cares about the suffering. And yes, I realize chickens are stupid animals with little personality or redeeming qualities such as a dog has, but I still feel that needless suffering is uncalled for.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i totally agree, but i think you can find redeeming qualities in just about anything, the good thing about chicken is what we use it for, but there is no reason at all to cause pain and suffering to the animal when it is not needed

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Even though KFC is just a buyer of the meats from the slaughterhouse, why would PETA choose to stage a boycott of KFC? A higher degree of visibility IMO.

But, here is where I stand. KFC is just a buyer, if there was a connection and if some KFC person knew about the treatment, then yes, there is a definite logical reason for the boycott and I would support them (though not on the picket line mind you). No connection, no real reason to boycott a fast food chain, just the supplier (but you won't get on the 6 o'clock news).

23. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

First of all, I'm not a big fan of fried chicken but this is rediculous. It's a freakin chicken. Children all over the world are being raped, abused and murdered for things like their religion or race.

And all some people can think about is chicken. :confused:

I'm not saying that a chicken is more important than a human being, rather, I'm saying that there are more pressing matters at hand.... oh what's that you say? the war? wtf? I think people would care more that, or the civil war in Somalia or some other genocide.

And all chicken is basically the same. How can you single out KFC?

I don't see people boycotting bacon or Lucky Charms, why chicken?

wtf again? First of all, why is Mr Sharpton calling African Americans? He should be calling on *all* people. no offense to African Americans but I can't stop thinking of all the jokes Dave Chappelle has made about blacks loving chicken. :D

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Are you sure KFC is the most popular fried chicken amongst this population?

Sort of like telling rednecks not to drink beer, it's not going to happen.

But if you tell rednecks not to drink Zima or Guinness, it's sort of pointless -- but sure makes you feel better.

Anything that keeps PETA entertained so I can eat fried chicken in peace. ;)

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So just eat KFC and don't bother starting a stupid thread telling us why PETA's stupid boycott is stupid.

Then I won't have to be stupid by yelling at you for starting stupid threads.

Of course, the real question should be: who among us who values our health eats fast food regularly anyway?

There would be none of these filthy, diseased, cruel factory farms if the population weren't teeming with disgusting, foolish gluttons who line up daily to stuff their fat faces full of pure fried crap and then complain how fat they are.