Bradley Manning Sentencing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by malman89, Aug 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Official - 35 years with a chance at parole. More details below:

From The Verge

---

Possibly 8-10 years as it stands with parole. I was wrong in thinking his sentencing would be so lenient, so perhaps that will be a possible option.

Thoughts?

2. macrumors Core

MacNut

Prosecutors wanted 60 years so I think this is pretty lenient.

3. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Prosecutors always want the maximum on everything. 35 years is insanity.

4. macrumors 68030

G51989

Not only will parole never happen, I think knowing the United States Government, an " accident " will occur in Prison.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

The original maximum was 136, but the judge stated that Manning was overcharged and consolidated charges. They then wanted 60 years and a $100,000 fine.

35 years is a steal to what he was facing - let's not forget the aiding the enemy charge guaranteed life in prison.

Does it still make it (the sentence) right? Perhaps not, but 35 with a chance of parole in ~9 years is a steal to what he was originally facing. Plus there'll be appeals, appeals for clemency, etc. This is far from over.

----------

Perhaps, but he will not be in a federal prison, which is lucky for him in another way - he would only get parole after serving 85% of his sentence, which is a good 30 years.

I hope that the conduct is a bit safer than at a federal prison.

6. AhmedFaisal, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

<snip>

7. macrumors 68030

G51989

In a state prison? Its no different.

If he's not in a federal prison, expect the NSA to come, pay off someone who has a life sentence anyway to kill him.

8. macrumors 65816

Since he received a Dishonorable Discharge, what is the point of reducing him in rank from PFC down to PVT?

Its not like he would be receiving pay whilst in prison, and I don't think a potential employer - ten or twenty years from now - is going to care one way or the other if he was DD'd as an E1 or E2.

Is the reduction in rank "just one of the things the army does" to satisy military honor? Like the way the French army used to rip the epaulets off of disgraced officers before sending them off to Devil's Island.

9. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Glad he will likely get out at some point, but still considering he did the right thing it is way too much time.

10. macrumors 6502a

The right thing? Stealing classified documents is the right thing to do? You can't be serious. I think he got off pretty easy. He will get out just in time to collect SS.

11. thread starter macrumors 68000

Military prison instead of federal was the point. I would fear his chances in military prison, but after that UN response, I think he has some cover.

12. macrumors 68040

bradl

According to the news bumps this morning, he was given credit for time served, plus had the sentence reduced for some abuses he had suffered while in a military brig. Because of that, I believe it came down to 3 1/2 years for time served. Minimum time for parole is 30% - 33%..

So that puts him at at least 11 years. Add in the time served, he'll be eligible for parole in 8 years.

EDIT: That is more time than Libby did for outing Plame, and considerably more time than those on Wall Street did for tanking our economy, and Enron for robbing seniors of their retirement nest eggs.

BL.

13. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

When I see video of him bouncing along I can't help but think "never before has a man looked more out of place in a military uniform".

I think he chose the wrong career.

14. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep telling the truth about war crimes is the right thing to do even if some of the documents talking about them are classified.

15. macrumors 68020

Free Bradley Manning and protect whistleblowers.

Which begs the question, who watches the watchers?

16. GermanyChris, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No, he will still be in the Army while he's in prison all soldiers have a rank. He will be dishonorably discharged once he fulfills his sentence.

He's not going to state or federal prison he's going to USDB at Ft Leavenworth.

17. macrumors 68020

smithrh

What's all this "he" talk? Chelsea is a female name...

(check out the news this morning to understand this comment)

18. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

PVT Manning will not get hormone replacement therapy while in the Army I hope.

What was the soldiers recruiter thinking?

19. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming the recruiters are pressured to sign anyone they can up especially during the middle of a war. I'm definitely glad that Manning leaked the documents he did, but I don't think the military was the best career choice or even a good career choice for him in the first place.

20. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Why do you hope he doesn't get hormone therapy?

21. macrumors G3

NT1440

More years than those convicted for torture and for others convicted for outright murder. I think that pretty much says it all about the state of affairs in the USA.

22. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No, it was a terrible career choice for him. I blame a lot of his transgressions on his leadership. The NCO's that recruited him and the officer/s that approved his entrance were at fault.

There while I'm all over the map on many things (as you have read) there is one thing I that I will always have unwavering support for and thats the Army. The Army is a huge organization it does things that are right and wrong, when it does wrong things it goes to great lengths to fix them. While you may not see SMA Chandler or GEN Odierno on the TV talking about fixing problems doesn't mean they/we are not trying to fix them.

We all have things that give us hope that there will be a better future for me that comes from the young men and soon to be young women graduating from Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning, The top ~10% of ROTC grads that want to be infantry officers and the college interns that come every year in June and leave in September that seem super exited to be broke interns working for the Army.

Am I naive? Probably. But pictures like this keep me hopeful. PVT Manning threw people like these under the bus and that is something that removes any respect I have for him. Should what most of he leaked come out? Of Course but i should come out in context. War is a horrible thing and it changes the soldiers who fight and the nation that supports them forever. When civilians get killed it makes it even worse; I can only imagine my feelings if my 8yo daughter was killed by a stray bomb or was "collateral damage"

I'd be comfortable if the CG or the President commuted his sentence to time served so he can go live the life that he wants and calk the whole thing up to a big mistake. The Army and state recovered from his leaks without too much issue call it a lesson learned for both parties and move on.

I don't think the Army should give him hormone therapy because he didn't give the Army the first right of explanation and threw his buddies under the bus. If he'd just ********* up then I'd be OK with the hormone therapy but that is not the case.

Americans want clean wars (from their perspective) where their son or daughter comes home to complete the family unit. Planes and helicopters cannot insure that the right people go home and the wrong ones don't only a solder on the ground can do that . Putting that solder on the ground though risks his/her life the American people are not ready for that.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

As long as he is a prisoner any medical treatment he receives should only be whatever is necessary for his physical health. He does not need hormone therapy for physical health so therefore our tax dollars should not be used to provide it. When he gets out in 35 years if he wants to pay for his own hormone therapy then more power to him.

24. Moderator emeritus

That's cool. However, pardons of this stature tend to come in the final days of an administration. We'll probably have to wait and see. Private Manning's story has many pages left to run.

25. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I wouldn't be surprised if the GO who reviews this soldiers case reduced his sentence in preparation for the president to commute it