Brain Cells in a Dish Fly Fighter Plane

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ~Shard~, Jan 9, 2005.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The article is a few months old (not sure if it's already been posted and discussed here), but it's still quite intriguing. The findings are very cool, and quite a few applications and possibilities could arise from something like this. Plus, this kind of stuff always interests me. ;)

You can read the whole story here.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I did do a search for it, but couldn't find it, but it wouldn't surprise me. Ah well, it was new to me! ;)

4. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I thought I remembered hearing about this before. Thank you Blue Velvet for your thoroughness.

It doesn't hurt to bring it up again. Research of this type should prove to be very valuable. Not just running an airplane, but curing disease in the future. Anything that advances our understanding of of nervous tissue and the brains interaction is of great value.

6. ariel macrumors regular

Call me stupid

I don't get it, i've read several of the stories (thanks google :) and I don't understand how a dish full of brain cells interacts with a flight simulator program... how does it "see" to fly? How does it know anything about what it is doing? Yes, i know the articles say that when they first hook it up the plane crashes all the time but then later it levels out and flies straight (even in hurricanes they say)... but what data are they inputting into this thing? a video? huh?

I'm lost