Brain-damaged man starts talking after decade nearly mute

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by emw, May 4, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Link

Wow - the human brain can be an amazing and confusing thing.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I heard this on the news last evening. Truly an amazing story. It just goes to show once again the healing power of the human brain. The brain is the organ that is least understood by doctors.

What an amazing fourteen hour visit that must have been. Hope that he will continue to improve. It showed him up trying to learn to walk again.

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Normally I don't post saying "wow" or "that's neat" but, sheesh, this is amazing. Thanks for posting it.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just imagine even after all the catching-up with family and friends, learning about what has happened in the world in the last 10 years... extraordinary.

Sounds trite, but my first thought was Stephen King's 'The Dead Zone'. :eek:

5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

You're right - it's such a different world to wake up to. He might want to go back to that coma he was in...

But you're right on with "The Dead Zone" - one of my favorite TV shows.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They made a TV show? Have I also been away?

Was thinking of the book...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What's a book? :p

Hmm... I was thinking of the South Park with Gorak/Steve where they unfreeze the guy and make him listen to Ace of Base repeatedly.

All that she wants is another baby...
    :D

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

That must be awesome for everyone and him, but will there be any new problems? He is still brain damaged...

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

USA Network here in the, well, USA. It's season is in the summer.

10. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

That's great, but it must be awful to wake up and find yourself ten years older!

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Brings Terri Schiavo to mind. This firefighter wasn't supposed to recover from his injuries. I read that her condition was different, but still one wonders. Where there is life there is hope. Not trying to open an old wound, just voice a thought.

I am sure his family is celebrating this wonderful accomplishment with joy and song. If he were my dad, I would be feeling awe-struck. I hope his condition continues to improve even more. I hope he retains his condition unlike the police officer they mentioned that only "awoke' for 18 hours.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Oh, this isn't a repost of that "Bill Gates spills beans" article? :p

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I don't cry watching movies or anything but...

Is this touching or what?

irmongoose

14. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

It's amazing to think of what he has missed in the last 10 years. He has never heard of George W., 9/11, etc. Crazy stuff...

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And from what I gleaned on the radio news, he lapsed back to a vegetative state some 12 hours later. To me the mind and God works in mysterious ways.

16. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I wish I could be caught in a similar state of oblivion.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Don't we all wish that we could turn back the hands of time in some way?

For me, I would like to go back 5 to years, and hope for better times. :)

18. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

That's what happens when you turn thirty, the realisation that ten years have past and it feels like you should still be in your early twenties. That's why your thirtieth birthday will be your worst birthday probably until you hit forty, at which point I imagine it will be the same horror just less surprising. :(

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Actually more surprising at 40, scared to feel the effects at 50 but don't want to experience the alternative yet.

20. fox2005 macrumors member

Oooops

Read the title and thought this was a disscusion of Bill Gates or mabe George W Bush... mabe next time...

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think a lot of people are thinking this too, "i was on the wrong side! they really can wake up!" but no, the conditions they were in are way too different. His brain was intact but uh, "scrambled" for lack of a better word. Always will be, his waking/coma state notwithstanding. But he's always had the chance for improvement, because his body kept his brain well-nourished and alive (indeed, i hope he continues to recover, perhaps he'll get to a constant low-functioning state) By contrast, Terri Shiavo's body allowed her brain to, basically, decompose inside her head, by the time she died most of her brain was liquid, there was simply no tissue there. The sodium, potassium, and calcium electrical circuitry in his brain are (were) simply dormant or malfunctioning, hers were not even close to intact.

It's great that this poor guy and his family experienced a miracle, but we have to keep it in perspective, such a miracle would not have been possible for many comatose people... to put it another way, you can't jumpstart an engine that's already been scrapped for parts.