Brain in a jar can fly airplane?!?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Oct 22, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

How weird is that?:

Link to whole article

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Quite interesting. I could see a tremendous impact to computing methodologies as well.

3. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Holy crap! It's amazing the things that happen literally within 2 miles of me. Yes, I live in Gainesville and I LOVE IT!

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Interesting, promising but could be scary (sci-fi style)

At which point his experiment could become sentient or self-aware? ^_^

It might need some cosmic rays first or a radioactive spider or 2.

Imagine this little scenario:

Military personal are servicing a UAV (Unmanned reconnaissance aircraft) One of the technician pulls out the "brain-tube" flight computer from the aircraft for maintenance. They run a system diagnosis. The technician says to himself: "Crap, this one turned sentient. It's the second this week. We'll have to bring it back to the lab for formatting. Stick in a fresh dumb one in the meantime." :D

5. tomato macrumors newbie

This is Funny...BUT TOTAL CRAP

I got a good laugh out of this one. RATs brains growing nuetrons ha ha ha.

Thanks for this post .... we need rat brains to fly planes.

With the cost of fuel skyrocketing we can eliminate the pilots and use rat brains.

What a cleaver marketing concept!

FLY RAT BRAIN AIRLINES.

WHY NOT PUT SOME RAT BRAINS IN AN ARMY TANK AND SEND IT TO IRAQ??

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Then at what point are we creating a new slave race? :confused: Interesting stuff, but I think this has more ethical issues than a 16 day old cluster of human cells... and we all know how easily people can agree on that one... :rolleyes:

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Into the mud, scum queen!

(Google it if you don't get the reference)

It was my first thought when I saw the thread title...

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You need to cut down on the caffeine. Seriously.

It's kind of sophomoric to get hung up about the fact that it's rat brain cells... they always use rat cells for neural net testing.

and this isn't intended to be a commercial venture... it's establishing a use for the neural network so it can be studied.

Autonomous tanks based on this are probably 20 years away, at least. and i agree with the statments above about ethical and logistical problems. Since we really don't understand why this works, we just know it does, unexpected results could arise. Kind of reminds me of Lovecraft's ideas on the slave race...

paul

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very interesting research. Good to hear that it's a simulated unmanned plane. In the future it could be of real assistance with unmanned planes for the Defense Department. Could also be helpful for space flight that are unmanned.

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

This is both interesting and creepy. New! Disposable brain in a can! The possibilities are limitless. :D

11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the beginning of the end :D ;) :eek: , can you imagine an entire army of sentient robots running amok? this is good for research but it's like the development of the nuclear...that was real beneficial :rolleyes: .

12. J.Allen macrumors member

Orgain computing. When you say your computer just died. It may well have:cool:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is weird, but how accurate are the input signals? What are they, exactly? Are they the same signals that are delivered when a living human, or even a living mouse, sees a situation with his eyes and sends the signal to his brain?

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Attached Files:

15. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Yeah I love it. I can see people getting brain attachments in the future. Not smart enough? Here are cloned neurons from -very smart people-. Just make a hole in your skull and pop in the extra brain.

iBrain.

Actually, when I first heard the term iPod, I thought of alien life forms...

What a Christmas present... wow.

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wow... imagine if this sort of stuff could be applied to high-demand computing... like that IBM commercial, the server can automatically repair itself.

17. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

This is the scary part for me - the fact that the mere things you see or hear are modifying your brain. It's obviously true - how else would you remember anything? But still - it's an interesting variation on "you are what you eat." You are what you see and hear.