Brain Teaser

Discussion in 'Community' started by e-coli, Oct 15, 2002.

1. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    I have a PowerMac 500 DP, and it crashes like crazy. even with jaguar. It's eaten 3 hard dirves, and has constant kernel panics.

The computer has had a drive fail and crashing problems in multiple apartments.

I brought the computer in, and they ssaid it was a hard-drive failure. So they put a new hard drive in, and THAT drive failed in less than 2 days. same deal, kernel panics.

Any of you techies know what the problem is???

*inserert Jeopardy music*
  2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    Its FUBARed.

I imagine it could be the motherboard though, given the fact every other thing has been tried. Maybe it's dodgy RAM or something aswell.
  3. e-coli thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    The motherboard test fine. And the RAM is factory shipped from Apple. It, too, is fine.
  4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    The Hardware Test CD is not always going to give you a definitive answer as to what's working right and what's not. It could be the motherboard, it could be the power supply, it could be the RAM or maybe even the CPU... even if the Hardware Test CD says all of those are fine. I hope you have AppleCare, because barkmonster was right when he said your machine is FUBARed. :(

(Based on what little I know, I would suspect the power supply is at fault... but I could easily be wrong.)