Brand and Model of Apple Combo Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iN8, May 30, 2002.

1. iN8 macrumors regular

I want to upgrade my DVD in my G4-450 (AGP) to a DVD/CD-RW. I want one that is fully compatible with iTunes, Disk Burner, Toast etc. with littl eto no hacking. I guess the one Apple uses would be the best.

Anyone know which one it is and where I can get one? Or an alternative.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The SuperDrive in the current DP 1Ghz is a Pioneer DVR-104.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Brand and Model of Apple Combo Drive

I know that the Computer Loft will sell you optical drives to install into your tower. I was considering upgrading my 5.2GB DVD-RAM drive in my G4 500 (agp also) to the 9.4GB. It wasn't going to cost too much.

I am pretty sure that you could get an Apple drive from them, which should work properly.

You also might want to check out OWC to see what they have for 'pulled' drives. If all else fails, give both a call and see what they have for you.

5. iN8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Actually, I was just interested in the combo drive, not the super drive, but thanks for the response.

Thanks Alpha, I'll check those guys out.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Thanks

Sorry, I must have miss-read, oooops :p got a bit carried away and thought u wanted the superdrive, now after reading again I have no idea where I got that from :confused:

7. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

if you check www.xlr8yourmac.com they have lists of drives that work with itunes and such. Some of the sony drives work, and they are proabably the best quality also.

-Pete

8. iN8 thread starter macrumors regular

Found one, kinda

I found one on xlr8yourmac.com.

It is a Toshiba SD-R 1102 (8x8x24 + 8x DVD ROM) that they all say is plug and play out of the box, very few problems. However, I am having trouble finding one to purchase anywhere online. I can find the Pioneer Superdrive, but none of these.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I found a Toshiba dvd-cdrw drive on GoogleGear's web site. Here is the product page. It is the "Toshiba SD-R1202 16x10x40 CD-RW + 12x DVD-ROM Drive w/Software Retail" I don't know if the 1202 will function the same as the 1102, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out (or try). Contact Toshiba to see about compatibility issues, if there are any. You might not be able to use the Apple Disk Burning software with it, but Toast should do just fine.