Brand Name Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nightdweller25, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
    I just bought a pair of Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses, an upgrade from my old Arnette pair, and I was just wondering what the people at MR use, do you buy brand names? Or do you go for the $5 Wal-Mart glasses? Do you even wear sunglasses? Post your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I'm pretty utilitarian as far as sunglasses go - they have to be nearly indestructable because I am constantly taking them on and off taking pictures, dropping my camera body on them...etc.

That said, My Maui Jim's have been all over the world without a hitch.

They were insanely expensive, though. :rolleyes:
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I would love designer sunglasses... but I'm horrible when it comes to sunglasses.

To date:
    • completely and utterly lost: at least 5 pairs
    • dropped into a reservoir (when coxing/crew): 2 pairs
    • accidently threw in trash (restaurants): 2 pairs
    • broken (cost of repair > new pair): 3 pairs

Sigh. So I don't dare trust myself w/ any pair of sunglasses that cost more than $20 now. :eek:
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I've got a pair of Revo's that I really like, the coating seems to be pretty robust. I've had them for 7 years now and they look pretty good. Makes the $250 easier to swallow. I'll likely not spend that much again if something happens to these....something about being in college vs. married :rolleyes:
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Just lost my (then) more than 10 year old black Ray-Bans last fall... :(

Replaced them in January with one (cheap but very good) pair of Polaroids and one (stylish but really too expensive) pair of Oakleys. Both pairs was birthday presents from my girlfriend. :)

I also have a 20 year old custom made round, dark blue glassed John Lennon-esque that I wear every now and then. :cool: <- appropriate smiley, right? Even if they look more like my (lost) Ray-Bans than the cool glasses... ;)

Wasn't there a sunglasses thread a couple of months ago? Edit: Cannot find any... probably just in my imagination...
  6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    You know, I always used to break and lose glasses, but I finally broke down and bought a decent pair. And you know what, I still have them because I actually take care of them. I bought a pair of serengeti's mostly because I love the lenses. The definition and clarity is absolutely unbelievable. They adjust to the sunlight so they're never too bright or too dark, and they're awesome for driving.
  7. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a $20 noname brand pair from Famous Barr that work fine. I only wear them when driving
  8. Sammis89 macrumors regular

May 30, 2005
    I have two pairs of ray ban aviators that were given to me by family, and from what i know they have lasted 20+ years without a problem. I love them!!!
  9. tsvb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
  10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
  11. nightdweller25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
  12. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I've stopped buying expensive sunglasses as I either break them, lose them or leave them where the dog can get them and chew them up.

I've gone through 3 pairs of $150 Dragon sunglasses.
    The last sunglasses I bought, 2 weeks ago off ebay, were some Ray-Bans. They cost £15 inc shipping!:)
  13. thevessels macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    i just got my first pair of decent sunglasses ,
    theyre some pretty rad pumas , they were only $82 , but def the most ive spent on shades . but so far im happy .
  14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
  15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I had a great pair of nike sunglasses that got stolen a few years ago. :mad: Now I'm looking for a replacement pair that has rubber ear pieces (they all seem to be plastic now, which sucks for running).

I also have a pair by Converse :)confused: ) that used to be prescription, but my eyes got worse, so I just put in regular dark glass (and wear them with contacts now).
  16. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I have a pair of Ray Ban's I really like; I bought them on eBay. Unfortunately I managed to leave them at a customer's house yesterday. I'm hoping she finds them so I can pick them up. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find a new pair as I'm planning a trip to Orlando next month, and I can't be without :eek:
  17. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    My Dad let's me use his Maui Jims - great sunglasses. :D :)
  18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    This is my favorite subject EVER. I'm a designer sunglass whore. I have two pairs of Gucci sunglasses.

I have one pair that is a tortoise, semi-transparent color frame with light brown lenses. The side trim has the gucci G web pattern on a little gold block(on each temple) and then has the word Gucci embossed in gold on each side. The lenses are fairly round with some hint of squarishness. Very cute.

I also have a pair that is the classic black rounded square frame - just has the little G's on the side. I decided not to go with the rhinestones for the extra 30 bucks, but looking back, I kind of wish I had.

My next pair is going to be something Chanel or D&G. If my parents don't go *******.
  19. bobscliff macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    I've got Ray Bans from none other than Costco! I love them and they're the best pair I've ever had.
  20. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    I love my Ray Ban prescription sunglasses. Have two pair, they're fantastic, but rather pricey.
  21. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I'm all for the $5 sunglasses.
    I have huge, fantastic shades that I got from Walmart.. they work and that's what matters.

My first pair were a $10 one from Nordstrom (you gotta know where to look in the store), but my head is so big that they broke in a few months from taking them on and off.

The 2nd pair were from Nordstroms again ($10!) and were a little small. Not enough for me to care, but again, my giant head broke them.

My current pair are the $5 ones from Walmart. I grabbed them before I went to Europe. They are AWESOME! They actually fit on my giant head, and they cover my eyes, and block out the sun.

If I can get the same amount of protection with a $5 pair as a $500 pair, I think I'll go for the $5 ones. :D

(Yeah, I also buy the knockoff shirts. I will not pay $72 for a Lacoste polo, if I can get the same one (basically) for $10 on Harwin!)
  22. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    I love sunglasses, but why the brand name needed?
    I have 2 pair I love. Isn't that enough? :confused:
    I paid $9.50 for one pair and $15 for another.
    I don't understand how people justify spending so much money for sunglasses. One of the world's mysteries that I will never understand. *sigh* :( :eek:
  23. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Nov 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    As long as they look good I'm happy with them ;)

I'm currently sporting a pair of Oakleys. :D
  24. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    Some Oakley ones that were £100 or so after discount. I had to buy a new pair after sitting on my old Raybans
  25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    When I got my current pair of "regular" glasses, I thought it would be worthwhile to get the clip-ons for them. Extra money, and they suck. Not polarized, so the just make everything a bit darker, and they add weight so that my glasses fall down my face more.

What I really want, is a pair of these.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.