Brand new 30" ACD messing up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spanky Deluxe, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I received my mac pro and 30" ACD yesterday and both have been absolutely fantastic. That is until I came back to the machine after cooking some lunch, woke the machine from sleep and now the screen is a bit funky. Its like there's a very fine hexagonal filter over everything. Everything looks a bit greyer and I can see where the backlight is quite obviously darker at the edges. Its quite hard to describe and I think photos wouldn't show it up enough. :-S I've tried powering it off and back on, disconnecting the power, plugging it into another DVI socket all to no avail. During start up the white apple logo on the grey background exhibited the same issues. Any ideas?

2. cinemafraud macrumors member

Hi, do you know if your Cinema Display is within new specifications? I want to know that because I am running a site related to a recent misleading advertising issue with those screens.

You can ask AppleCare directly by giving them your serial number and they will tell you when it was assebled and the specifications as well.

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The 30" model was replaced a good few months ago and so my one is almost certainly the new specs.

The problem seems to have disappeared now. It was leaving some ghosting on the desktop of my skype contact list but it all now seems to have gone away. I'll have to see if it comes back over the next few days. Its quite disconcerting though when a screen worth this much is being temperamental in the first day. At least I have three years of Applecare to look forward to though!!

4. cinemafraud macrumors member

Be aware that the newest ACD 30" is brighter and has better response time. Can you give me the first 6 digits to see if they are similar to the late 2005 models I already have?

I'm telling you this because I have been tricked twice regarding this hardware. If you want to know more about it feel free to visit http://www.cinemafraud.com

5. hush macrumors member

Sorry dude, but I think you're wrong... Apple is not selling their new spec ACD in Europe yet, so your screen must be the old one.

6. cinemafraud macrumors member

AFAIK Apple is advertising all the ACD with the new specifitications at European Stores and must sell them accordingly. Another history is that they actually aren't which is illegal at least here in Spain.

7. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The 30" ACD was replaced in March of this year as opposed to August for the 23 and 20" screens.

Cinemafraud, where exactly is this code you'd like to know?

8. cinemafraud macrumors member

You can find it at the original box or the bottom of your aluminium base. It should starting with something like 2A6291

9. petite macrumors member

The 30" has been higher specced for a while. Only the 20" and 23" got bumped up (... to the same specs as the 30").

He has the new model.

10. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its model number is A1083. I'm pretty sure its the newer specced model because like petite says, the higher specced 30" has been out for a while.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Will you fecking go away?

The guy is trying to solve a problem, which coincidentally, has zip point squat to do with your self serving fraud campaign.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

thank-you gary, I wanted to say something, but was to lazy to. It is pretty fracking annoying seeing this over and over again.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

To address your question -

The 30" displays seem to have their fair share of issues.

I had amazingly wild pixelation problems with my first two - Apple seems to be aware of this. I took them in and they were immediately replaced.

Never been a video card issue.

Have you ringed Apple?

14. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Thanks Gary! The problem seems to have gone away by itself. I'll leave it for now before calling Apple, if it comes back and lingers again then I'll give them a call although I'm quite happy with this screen though, zero dead or stuck pixels!!

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Good - keep an eye on it - my problems came and went. Hopefully yours is perfect now!