Brand new eMac ... DOA!?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by skymaXimus, Aug 29, 2003.

1. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    So I buy two 1ghz eMacs for the church/school that I work at. I bring them home and set the 1st one up. All is going great, then 1/2 way through the initialization process the screen starts to wobble like its trying to degause. Then it stops for a few seconds and then starts again, but this time it doesn't stop. So, hardly able to see, I manage my way through the whole 1st time into OSX setup and into SYS Prefs to displays. Change the resolution, but it still doesn't stop shaking, then *poof*, the screen does like on an older tv when you turn it off. It hasn't come back sence. I turned it off and booted w/ cmd+opt+p+r to reset the PRAM, but that didn't help. It will boot up, but just no screen. I don't have the doggle to connect an external monitor to confirm that it has booted. I have a 12" PowerBook, and can use that doggle, but I left it (the doggle) at work today.
    I bought the machine at CompUSA. Should I try and call AppleCare tonight, or just take the machine back and see if they'll swap it out at CompUSA?
    Is there something that I might be missing?
    <edit>P.S. the 2nd eMac is working great and I'm posting from it right now.</edit>
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Look at What is Apple’s sales and refunds policy

It says...
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    with all due respect to Sun Baked, and to Apple's DOA policy, I would say absolutely do not go through Apple with this one. *Take it back to CompUSA and exchange it immediately.*

My brother got a FP imac at Microcenter a while ago, and when we set it up, it turned on, crashed, and then absolutely would not reboot, even after we followed all of the advice from an applecare tech. He advised that we send it in... I just thanked him for his time, hung up, and took it back to Microcenter, where they promptly gave us a new one that is working great to this day.

Don't start some long, drawn out repair/ replace mail in process with Apple. CompUSA has an obligation to sell working products, and I seriously doubt that they will give you any sort of hard time at all with an exchange.

This machine is defective. You paid for a brand new, non-refurbished emac, and that is what you should get. I really would not get in to any mail-ins or repair attempts with Apple on this one.
  4. skymaXimus thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    Thanks for the advice. I took it back to CompUSA today and they swapped it for me on the spot.