Brand new iBook won't run newest games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Jan 26, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hello fellow marumoreans.

I will very soon be in the market for a new laptop. (Mac of course)

I was thinking of going for the ibook because of the better video card and nice price bracket. I was aiming for the middle one (14 inchers, 933 MHZ)

This computer will be using mostly for communications and keeping in touch with my graphic design work on the road.

Here is the catch: I recently learned that one of my favorite game will be ported to the mac: Command and Conquer: Generals. Release date?: By the end of march. I tought that it would be a nice added bonus to be able to play this game on the road. Unfortunatly, the specs of the ibook falls behind the minimum requirements for this game. I found that odd for a brand new computer and for a game that will be out in less than two months.

Sure, I could opt for a more expensive powerbook. Even then, the 3 lower models have barely the minimum required specs. The 12 inchers have a really sub-par video card. I'm not going to be carrying a 17 inchers with me on the road (plus it's too expensive for me).

Should I be scared to buy a brand new computer that will barely be able to run the newest games, at the lowest graphic settings, in the next quarter? What about in a year from now? Will I even be able to run any new games?

Yeah, yeah, I know, Macs aren't supposed to be gaming platforms. I just tought that it would be a nice added bonus.

What are your tougths on the subject?

link to the game's specs

2. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Second verse, same as the first...

Yep, the iBook is an inexpensive laptop that will not do well with demanding games.

Fortunately, that's not what it was designed to do, so it's not a failure.

I'm sure you will enjoy your iBook anyway. There are plenty of fun games that will run on it (Age of Empires II), and it will shine in the areas of your life that matter more than computer games.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

What spec is it that falls behind? If it's memory, you should note that Apple ships these machines with a bare minimum of RAM, and third-party memory sellers have better prices on RAM than Apple does.

4. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

On the topic of video cards: The iBooks ship with mediocre video cards. It's completely intentional by Apple, and there's really nothing you can do about it. It's a cheaper laptop, so you have to expect cheaper hardware in it.

Have fun with your new Mac, though. :D

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yup ibook wasnt made for gaming, but we all know that, it can run a decent game of war craft if u keep settings low, but i doubt a game more demanding than that can perform

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

MHZ, the minimum requirements are 1000 MHZ.

Really? I was told that the iBook's ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 was better that the entry level powerbook's NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200. Was I misinformed?

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I can run Warcraft III, Dungeon Siege, and America's Army just fine on my iBook G4 800. Granted I don't have any of them set to super high graphics but you don't miss what you never have seen. :)

8. cubist macrumors 68020

Wow :eek: And then there's the low-speed hard drive to think about too. -- There are some refurb 12" powerbooks at the Apple Store. But really, I don't think you get into desktop-replacement territory until you get the 15" or bigger. The smaller ones are slower portables with long battery life, not game stations.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's not at all weird for a new computer to fall behind the specs of a new computer game. When UT2003 came out at least 80% of all new PCs did not meet the specs required.

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

As well those are preliminary system requirements which may change before the product is due to ship. I have to admit it is a bit disheartening that recent Mac's are/will be struggling with newly released games. In all likelyhood, you'll be able to play this game, albeit you'll have to turn down a few settings and it'll greatly depend how great a port this is from Aspyr.

11. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I WILL buy a laptop, even if that game (C&C) won't run on it. I just love Apple's products.

It's just that I won't have the money to get both a laptop and a desktop, meaning that if it won't run on my new laptop, I won't ever be able to play the game... unless it comes out on a console (doubtfull) or maybe in 3 years, when I buy a new computer ^_^.

Here I am, crossing my finger, hoping that it's still playable with all graphical options set to their lowest settings.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

another example of well G4 didnt go anywhere this year so we will dumb down the L2, Use a really old clocked G4 and do a few otherthings to cripple ibook so it dont compete with powerbook. send your thank you's to Apple & Motorola. Instead of just building a better product they have played this game among ther own product lines. In essence they dont want the consumer to buy the dumbdown machine they want to squeeze everyone into those so called pro models. all they end up doing is loosing sales. this holds true for ibook,Imac & Emac.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Oh come on... since when does Minimum requirements really mean anything? Games dont check to make sure you meet those specs, and 66mhz wont make a damn bit of difference.

The game will run fine on the iBook, and yes, the 9200Mobility is better than the GF2Go 5200

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

By the way our Al15 1.25GHz plays UT2003 like a champ.

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I find minimum system reqirements to be somewhat deceiving. The system requirements are always higher than what is actually necessary.

Im not much of gamer, but I have played some games that "require" 32mb vram on my 700mhz iBook (16mb vram). Of course, I also turn down the seetings.

16. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

DHM...why are your posts so often crazy rants? What's even worse is that I felt the need to point this out. Again.
    The ibook, imac and emac lines are meant to be CHEAPER and less advanced pieces of hardware to bring the style of macintosh to those who can't afford the big boys. Most people use those machines for what 90% of all computers are...basic email, word processing and internet. You DO NOT buy a low level mac for gaming. Ever.
    Sorry about not being able to play C&C on the ibook, although I agree with someone else in that the minimum specs are often a bit inflated.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

maelstromr if you dont have machines getting faster and better where is the incentive to buy new stuff??? remember many years ago how macs where getting faster and faster. Then came G4 with years of stagnation from moto and apple dumbing down the consumer line so it dont hurt pro sales they ended up with lower and lower marketshare. Imac at 2 grand is not cheap and when a $800 wintel machine can give its hardware a wipping its time for something new. ibook is using a 2-3 year old cpu. Face it. My soon to be 3year old quicksilver had a 800G4 in it. Apple is dumbing all those consumer lines so they wouldnt touch those pro lines using the old stagnating been at 1.4 or less G4 for more then a year. this isnt a crazy rant this is the gospel truth.

18. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Actually I agree with Maelstomr. You do post a lot of crazy crap.

Listen, if you want to go over to Motorola and beat them until they make amazingly great chips, go ahead. But as it stands now they haven't been able to get a G5 into the powerbook, and if the ibook is as fast as the powerbook... well then its a powerbook... so what the heck do you want exactly? Magic?

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

lets just face it we have another year of motostagnation and apple is charging a arm and leg for old chips that have done nothing in over a year. im sorry but i just cant jump on the bandwagon that whatever apple does is terrific. what i want is Apple to stop the crippling game of its consumer line. all i can say is if you have to have a G4 better get the fastest you can.

20. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

So much hype swallowed by these experts

Just what is so bad about the iBook's graphics card? 32 MB is a lot for a portable computer. My dual processor PowerMac has a 32 MB nVidia card and that works fine for any game that came out in the last year. When Unreal Tournament 2003 came out all the experts of the forums wrote that nothing but the latest cards and PowerMacs would do but they were wrong.

I am afraid that too many people believe the hype that graphics card companies use to sell their products and try to make anyone with older hardware feel inadequate. Anyone who really knows about computer graphics cards would tell you that hardly any of the latest cards' capabilities are utilised by game software. This is what happens when graphics engines have to run on a variety of hardware including, yes, 32 MB cards.

If the iBook is the best that you can afford for now then by all means invest in it. It might not impress all these experts here but chances are that you will play a lot more games on it than they would ever imagine.

21. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Little mister, it is crucial to understand that portable processors are quite different animals from those in desktop computers.

22. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Re: So much hype swallowed by these experts

My friends 3 year old portable wintel machine has a 64 mb video card.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, hate to state the obvious here... but why not just get the 1 GHz model. It's more expensive, yeah, but you can get a refurb or school discount. You can always add more RAM (but it says 256 is enough). Who knows, by then the lowend model could be 1 GHz.

And yeah, Don't Hurt Me, we know. Motorola sucks. G4's suck. Apple's are expensive. Wintels are cheaper. We know. You're preaching to the choir here. We get it.

I'm sure more G5s are coming. But, uh, no offense... broken record a bit.

24. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I wouldn't go so hard on Apple's cheaper books not being able to play games. A friend of mine is a big time gamer, and his brand-new $1,400 laptop is apparently not enough to play his games. He said that he is thinking of spending $3K on a new one, just so that it will be able to play the games he wants.

For $3K that's the fastest PowerBook out there, which can certainly play any game available today, or with a planned release date.

25. howard macrumors 68020

howard

jeez i didn't know that about the vid cards...i figured the powerbook had the better...hope that changes...it would be nice if they put a 9600 in the 12 inches next update...then i might think about getting one... in fact thats one of the biggest reasons in my decision with 15 vs 12 inch