brand new mac owner, needs direction

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silentthunder77, Jan 24, 2006.

1. silentthunder77 macrumors member

Nov 11, 2005
    hey everybody

i'm sure you're all extremely tired of this, but i'm beseeching you to answer one more networking question. if you think you can help me, please don't click the back button. i had a wireless connection at my house hooked up to a pc, and my computer obviously connected to that through the airport.

i'm using a iMac g5 1.9, and an airport extreme base station. now i've moved into a new apartment, and the guy has a cable modem simply plugged into his pc, and i've tried establing new networks. to start, i ran the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port on the base station, and another ethernet cable from the LAN port on the base station to the pc.

the closest i think i got to success was my imac could pick up the signal and connect to it, yet safari would still not run the internet. however, when i did that, that made it so the pc wouldn't work on the internet, even though i had an ethernet cable hooked up between the LAN port on the base station and the pc.

i tried switching the cables around, and doing stuff that probably wouldn't work, but did it just for the sake of trying. i went throught the airport setup utility, and set everything to resolve automatically. as you can probably tell from reading this, i'm not a computer genius, but i can figure things out if pointed in the right direction.

so, please, if you know of a website that would walk me through a predicament such as mine, have a few minutes to type a response that might resolve my situation, or if the best idea is just to call the internet provider, any responses are greatly appreaciated.

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Do you know what brand the modem is? Or your ISP? One or the other company might be your best bet for help with the problem.

If not, maybe go to the airport section of apple's discussion groups ( and see if anyone in there has had similar problems that might shed a light on yours.
  3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    As a guess, the ISP might be using PPPOE (as DSL tends to), which requires a username and password to be input. In this case, you need to set the Base Station to connect to PPPOE with the username and password, and then output DHCP. You'll then need to switch the PC's network connection to DHCP from PPPOE. Then they should both work.
  4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    PC's can be kinda tricky along with macs. Yes they could be connected to the LAN but if the computers were on when you did all that switching and stuff, they could not work right. Try shutting down ALL your computers completley, then mess around with the cables and do the setup (ive never used an airport station, so do whatever should work) then after all the wires are connected turn on the computers once more, and it should work, if not as stated before it could be a problem with your ISP or somthing like that.
  5. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As already noted by others, it may be that the Airport Extreme station itself needs to perform the connection to the ISP. I don't need to do that myself now but I do seem to recall that this was necessary once. In this case the Airport Setup Assistant should walk you through what you need to do in order to get things running.

The other possibility is that the ISP only issues a single IP address and that this IP address is currently "assigned" to the PC. This happened to me recently and can be easily resolved by switching off or resetting the modem and connecting it to the Airport station. Doing this should mean that the Airport is assigned the IP address and it can then distribute "internal" IP addresses to your Mac and PC by DHCP.

Basically, what you want should be possible.