Brand new MacBook keeps freezing!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Stevie, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

My MacBook Pro is 2 months old and its started to get really laggy and freezes up for minutes at a time. Scrolling has become very jerky and web page images are flickering like mad.

When I open apps such as Launchpad my macbook just freezes, then eventually the Launchpad page loads up really slowly, starting from the top of the page downwards.

The backlit keyboard is also refusung to light up.

I cant get a Genius appointment as there are none available at my local store. I was wondering if there are any checks I could make myself to diagnose the problem? This is my first ever MacBook so Im a bit of a newbie :eek:

2. macrumors 65816

teleromeo

applications > utilities > activity monitor

With this application you can see if there is a process taking a lot of activity.

3. macrumors 6502

The keyboard backlighting looks at the ambient lighting of the room through the same sensor used for setting screen intensity and disables itself if it thinks you've got enough light to see what you're doing.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

The app taking up the largest amount of CPU % is Safari at 12% (I have 5 tabs open). I assume this is an acceptable amount?

Ahh, didnt realise that, thanks. But I'm now sat in darkness and the keyboard still isnt lit up!!

5. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

What, forever?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

:D:D

Wasnt anything available for the next week or so. But an appointment has just popped up for next Tuesday so I snapped it up :)

7. macrumors 6502

montycat

Check to see if keys F5/F6 set properly for your backlit keyboard.