brand new MacBook, need some help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWinnipegger, Dec 27, 2006.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

just got a new macbook for christmas, one problem, all my files are on my PC, how can i move them to my MacBook...??

thanks for the help

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You can create a FTP account on your mac under System Preferences -> Sharing and then use a FTP client on your PC to upload them onto your Mac.

3. iWinnipegger thread starter macrumors regular

haha,, um i suck with computers. so that really doesn't help me lol. thanks anyways

4. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

It's really easy... download SmartFTP for windows and do what the above poster said to do on your new Mac.

Or, you could burn your files to CDs or DVDs, but the FTP option is much easier and less wasteful.

5. Irish Dave macrumors regular

The simple way is to burn your data to CD / DVD and pop the disk into your Mac.

Remember not all PC software files are Mac compatible. If you have PC specific software that you need to use ...... install Parallels or Bootcamp and Windows.

Dave :)

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Can you connect the two computers with a network. Once they are both on the same network you can "share" your files on the PC and the shared folder can appear on the Mac.

If you can't do the network then you can use an external USB disk drive. plug it into the PC copy your files there, then plug it into the Mac and copy them off. You will need an external drive for backups anyways. So if yu don't have one, get one.

7. rontheancient macrumors regular

Like ChrisA said, use a USB drive. Invest in a bigger one if you can. I just bought a 1GB SanDisk drive for $20 @ Staples.

8. Encanto macrumors regular

Yes my friend, get your self a USB flsh drive and just put all of your files in there from your pc then pass all of your data to you new MAC. Again, Congrads on your new Mac. Best machines ever.

9. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

I'd recommend FTP, if you can. Secondly, if you can share files over a network I'd recommend that as well.If those two don't work, go out and get yourself a usb drive. AS A LAST RESORT you could burn to CD/DVD.

Just my opinion.