Brand New MBP 17 - Very Dark Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark5segal, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mark5segal macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2006

I just got a brand new MBP 17 for work at my office today. I left it on for 10-15 min to do something else, when I got back, the screen was dark. I thought it went to "sleep" so I tried to "wake" it up by pressing a key. The screen came back and immediately went to dark again. The screen was on but it was so dark, I could still see something but I couldn't see the mouse cursor. I tried to reboot the machine, tried to reset SMC(???), nothing helped. I haven't used the machine for more than 1 hour, but I did remember I was asked to do some kind of system update which I did. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I am thinking to visit a nearby Apple store tomorrow to see I can get a replacement, but thing is that my IT purchased it from PCMall (along with AppleCare - I was going to install it but the screen was too dark to do so), can I get a replacement at Apple store, or I have to ask my IT to sent back to PCMall for a replacement. Thanks!
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Presumably you've checked the obvious things, like ensuring that the brightness is on full. The lowest setting turns off the backlight, and it sounds like your backlight is off!
  3. mark5segal thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2006
  4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    F2 to turn on the backlighting and F1 to turn it down, or off.
  5. mark5segal thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2006
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I guess I will have to visit the Apple store today :-(
  6. buckwheat macrumors member

Dec 4, 2006
    Well, just look around on the screen, it'll get lighter