Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paintballer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
Well I'm really pissed off right now because I was sitting in my room next to my piece of **** Mac Mini that I havn't even had for a month and the screen just goes blank all of the suden. So I go over to it and it starts making noises that sound like a CD spinning in the drive (there isn't a CD in). So I can't get it to do anything so I shut it off and let it sit for 5 minutes turn it back on and sign in just for it to log me off and take me back to the log in screen. I was really pissed and about to throw the piece of **** out a window so I just left it alone for an hour or two. Turned it back on and everything seemed to work and then a few hours later I was listening to some of my music on it and I paused it and went to eat dinner and when I came back 5 minutes later the screen was black again. Then it made the start up sound and the screen turned white so I thought it was restarting itself but it just sat there and kept making the start up sound. This is similar to what happened to a previous PC I had when its power supply died. But its a brand new ****ing computer and it shouldn't have problems in less than a month. Macs are supposed to be such good quality but I've never had a damn PC that has had something like this happen in less than a month. I love the OS and can't stand to be on Windows just to type this after being used to Mac but if they have such ****** hardware then I'm just going to have to run Linux or something. So does anyone have a solution to this because if I have to take a brand new computer to the Apple store then I'm gonna be severly pissed off.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
It is impossible to mass produce anything and have a 0% defect rate and still be affordable. Calm down, call applecare (or go to a store) and get a replacement.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Well I'm really pissed off right now because I was sitting in my room next to my piece of **** Mac Mini that I havn't even had for a month and the screen just goes blank all of the suden. So I go over to it and it starts making noises that sound like a CD spinning in the drive (there isn't a CD in). So I can't get it to do anything so I shut it off and let it sit for 5 minutes turn it back on and sign in just for it to log me off and take me back to the log in screen. I was really pissed and about to throw the piece of **** out a window so I just left it alone for an hour or two. Turned it back on and everything seemed to work and then a few hours later I was listening to some of my music on it and I paused it and went to eat dinner and when I came back 5 minutes later the screen was black again. Then it made the start up sound and the screen turned white so I thought it was restarting itself but it just sat there and kept making the start up sound. This is similar to what happened to a previous PC I had when its power supply died. But its a brand new ****ing computer and it shouldn't have problems in less than a month. Macs are supposed to be such good quality but I've never had a damn PC that has had something like this happen in less than a month. I love the OS and can't stand to be on Windows just to type this after being used to Mac but if they have such ****** hardware then I'm just going to have to run Linux or something. So does anyone have a solution to this because if I have to take a brand new computer to the Apple store then I'm gonna be severly pissed off.

warranty |?wôr?nt?; ?wä-| noun ( pl. -ties) a written guarantee, issued to the purchaser of an article by its manufacturer, promising to repair or replace it if necessary within a specified period of time : the car comes with a three-year warranty | as your machine is under warranty, I suggest getting it checked.

• (in contract law) a promise that something in furtherance of the contract is guaranteed by one of the contractors, esp. the seller’s promise that the thing being sold is as promised or represented.

• (in an insurance contract) an engagement by the insured party that certain statements are true or that certain conditions shall be fulfilled, the breach of it invalidating the policy.

• (in property law) a covenant by which the seller binds themselves and their heirs to secure to the buyer the estate conveyed in the deed.

• (in contract law) a term or promise in a contract, breach of which entitles the innocent party to damages but not to treat the contract as discharged by breach.

• [usu. with negative ] archaic justification or grounds for an action or belief : you have no warranty for such an audacious doctrine.

ORIGIN Middle English : from Anglo-Norman French warantie, variant of garantie (see guaranty ). Early use was as a legal term denoting a covenant annexed to a conveyance of property, in which the vendor affirmed the security of the title.USAGE See usage at warrantee .

Thesaurus
warranty noun a three-year warranty guarantee, assurance, promise, covenant, commitment, agreement.

Just because it's brand new doesn't mean the hardware inside is going to be perfect - in fact, within the first few months of usage is when you're most likely to see problems.

That's why you have a warranty so calm down, take a chill pill and give Apple a call.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Time for Applecare, sounds like maybe a graphics problem or power supply. or you could throw it out the window but if you do that video it for us would you?

paintballer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
Well since mine isn't stock I can't just get a replacment and they will either have to work on it or have to send me another one. Both will take quite a while. Besides there is only one Applestore in this ****hole I live in and its almost two hours away.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
sounds like getting on the blower to apple wouldn't hurt. It sounds like a sleep issue.. which could be hardware, but it could also be other things. Have you checked to make sure the firmware is up to date? Have you done a hardware test? If it's not a hardware issue, I would recommend doing a clean install of your system. It could just be a bum installation (but this is something to do if you can't work anything else out). I would not in this instance recommend an archive and install because oftentimes when there's an issue like this, overwriting the whole system works best.

Before getting too upset, make sure it's not a simple problem you couldn't solve yourself. Don't jump to conclusions without running a few tests first.

YT

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
It's disappointing and frustrating when hardware fails. Although, your Mac Mini is a custom build it is fortunate that it is under warranty. Please call Apple and find out about the available repair options. Please let us know how Apple responds.

If Apple's resolution unacceptable, calmly restate your case to the representative and see if there is another option. Sorry about your Mac Mini. I hope your issue is resolved quickly.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It seems you've got a hardware problem. Out of the 6 computers I've bought in the last 15 years, one of them turned out to be a "lemon". It happens. It sucks - but it happens. From Apple's website:
All new Apple hardware products, including clearance and refurbished products, carry a one-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

If you are having a problem, this warranty should cover it. Yes, it is inconvenient to mail the machine away, but any and every computer manufacturer would do the same. Apple will repair this machine for you, or possibly replace it.

Just calm down; Apple doesn't generally make **** hardware (you just got unlucky), and if you want to go and "run to Linux or something" please proceed, we don't need a status report. :rolleyes:

ladysoverignXP

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2006
I Had The Same Prob (Sorta)

:) My Micronpc board kept resetting like that, try resetting the BIOS(If Mm Has One...)

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
warranty |?wôr?nt?; ?wä-| noun ( pl. -ties) a written guarantee, issued to the purchaser of an article by its manufacturer, promising to repair or replace it if necessary within a specified period of time : the car comes with a three-year warranty | as your machine is under warranty, I suggest getting it checked.

<snip...>

That's why you have a warranty so calm down, take a chill pill and give Apple a call.

Chundles - my hat is off to you,
and here's to you for that post
(as mac-convert takes a sip of a good 10-yr old single malt)! :D :D :D

paintballer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
Well I repaired disc permissions though I don't know if that will help in this case. It seems the only time it does this is when the screensaver is on.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Well I repaired disc permissions though I don't know if that will help in this case. It seems the only time it does this is when the screensaver is on.

I doubt it. ... call Apple. If it's only a month old, you have telephone support too. You could try fsck-ing it (zap the pram), but I doubt that that is the issue... did you try the hardware test (it's either a separate disk 'hardware test' or it's part of the installation disk - just don't reinstall anything yet!)

yt

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
Get the box receipt and stuff together and bring it into an apple store. They will diagnose it and hand you a new one to go. I'd spent the next few hour backing up data if you can.

paintballer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
I did the hardware test and it said everything was good so I checked perform extensive testing and tried and now it says its testing memory but I believe it is frozen. It has said testing memory for about 5 minutes and my mouse and keyboard no longer do anything so I'm pretty sure that its frozen but I'll let it sit for a bit longer just to make sure. And as I said before it is a build to order so they won't just hand me a new one.

LittleJoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Worthington, OH
And as I said before it is a build to order so they won't just hand me a new one.

What's the big hurry?

Anyway... if you go into an Apple store cursing and with an attitude, I'd bet money that after you leave the store they are going to name you jackass of the day and put your mini on a shelf for a few days before they send it.

Just go in, tell them what the problem is, CALMLY, they will look at it and do a couple tests, and within 15 mins they will hand you a paper telling you to come pick up the new one in (im guessing) a week.

It's not a big deal. At least you dont have to call someone in India and have them tell you to restart your modem 30 times.

paintballer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
I restarted it and tried the hardware test again only to have it freeze in the same spot as before. And if I went to the Apple Store I wouldn't be yelling at them because its not their fault that this happened. The reason I don't want to go to the Apple Store is because I don't feel like driving for 8 hours or waiting a week or longer to get my Mac back. I don't know if I could go that long using Windows.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I restarted it and tried the hardware test again only to have it freeze in the same spot as before. And if I went to the Apple Store I wouldn't be yelling at them because its not their fault that this happened. The reason I don't want to go to the Apple Store is because I don't feel like driving for 8 hours or waiting a week or longer to get my Mac back. I don't know if I could go that long using Windows.

umm... are you sure it's frozen? if you are doing a deeper check, it's going to take longer. Just leave it for a while. Especially ram. memtests can go on for quite a while. I mean, if it's not doing anything for an hour, then it's likely frozen.. but I know it hasn't been an hour!!

Slow down! Clear your mind!Breathe!:D

YT

paintballer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
Well I'm pretty sure it was frozen because the mouse and keyboard didn't work and I let it sit for half an hour and it says it will only take 5-10 minutes.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It may be something ridiculously simple, like a loose connector or a badly seated DIMM...so hang in there. Apple is usually quick with shipping repairs.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I bet if you called Apple and they said they would fix your computer that it wouldn't be gone more than a few days. I had a harddrive go back in a PowerBook, called them monday, they send the box tuesday and I shipped it out that day. I got my computer back thursday so I was was without my computer for 48 hours. They really are pretty quick when it comes to some repairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.