Brand new Powerbook RAM- Help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by flinch13, Oct 29, 2005.

1. flinch13 macrumors regular

I've got problems with my brand new powerbook. I ordered a kingston 1GB memory module to bump up to 1.5 GB. I installed it correctly and carefully, making sure to ground myself first (I'm almost positive I didn't screw it up with static electricity). Great, but one problem- I've restarted three times and it's not showing up in Apple system profiler. What should I do?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Is this RAM guaranteed to be Mac compatible? Macs are very picky about their RAM. Just return it for another stick. If it is not Mac compatible, I hope they will take it back.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What is the model number of the Kingston RAM?
    Which Powerbook do you have, the HD screen model, or the pre-Oct 19th model?

4. flinch13 thread starter macrumors regular

It's brand new. I got it on Friday. Here's the website for the RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI... Notebook Memory Model KVR533D2S4/1G - Retail

It matches the specs... I assumed it would work, considering a lot of other people were getting the same thing...

5. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Have you tried switching the RAM into a diff slot?

6. flinch13 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I haven't... I'm a little scared of completely screwing my working RAM module though.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That's the KVR Kingston ValueRAM generic.

Make sure that the RAM is seated all the way into the socket -- push it into the socket firmly while it is still at the 30% angle to the socket, THEN lay it down to the horizontal position. There should be no or very little of the contacts left visible.

You can try for a replacement from NewEgg in hopes that it is simply a defective module, however Kingston does not guarantee this RAM as compatible for Powerbooks.

You want the KTA-PB533/1G for between US$159 and $186 depending on vendor.

Or better, the Data Memory Systems DM50 186 for US$104

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

8. paperinacup macrumors 6502

It MAY be that slot thats just not working. Also like Canadaram said make sure its ALL the way in.

9. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

I just got my PB a month ago, and I put a $122 1Gb stick of Crucial RAM in from Newegg, and it works perfectly.......

[​IMG]

10. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I had a similar problem on a 1.5ghz powerbook.
    After the ram has clicked in flat, apply some pressure pushing it down.
    That did the trick for me.

The ram should be compatible: Ceplar bought the same kind and he reports it has worked thus far:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=156146

11. g0gie macrumors regular

Return it to newegg and purchase the crucial ram. its the same ram listed on the crucial website made for powerbooks, although they have different numbers. I bought from cucial directly and when I got the actual models, the part numbers matched the sticks available on newegg's site. STuck them into my new pb and worked perfectly

12. cepler macrumors member

cepler

Been running 2 of those sticks in my new PB 15" with no probs since Tuesday night (I love overnight shipping via ground from Jersey to Delaware :) ). No problems. I haven't tried running the 512 and the 1 gig together though. One thing I'd try is pop out the 512 and pop in the 1 gig only and see if that works. Make note of the tilt you need to do to get it slid down in there and also to get the other module out...it's a little tight. Don't be too scared, stay grounded, don't spit in your laptop, keep pets away and don't get struck by lightning and you'll be fine :)

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

Have you tried removing that new module and sticking it back again? It might have been a loose connection :rolleyes:

14. mikelao macrumors newbie

i ordered the same RAM from newegg. i hope it'll work fine...:confused: