Brand New Sealed 1st Generation iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattyMac, Jul 31, 2006.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

uhm.

wow.

i personally would have no interest in it - i'm not much of a collector of things.. if i want an iPod, i want a new one with a big drive - not one that's 3 times as much just because it's a "relic" (hardly a good word for it, even).

3. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Just like the above poster I'm not a collector. But I can imagine it being worth a lot, who could predict it being so popular, and who would buy one and not open it.
    It's worth what a fool pays for it....
    I would rather buy a macbook for that amount of money though :)

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Haha, read my sig. I guess I should not have opened the box 4,5 years ago.:D

My 1st generation iPod still has 5-6 hours battery life and is still very useful. I have no need to carry more than 5gb of music in my pocket and do not care about watching videos on such a small screen. No need to upgrade it anytime soon!

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

No. I just don't have any nostalgia for electronic gadgets. Paying a grand for an old unused iPod? It better be made of gold or something.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

ridiculous! :eek: I don't know if it's the only one in the world, as the auction said, but I'll bet there aren't many!

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

My 10Gb iPod is still going strong. i get about 5 hours too. I want a new one soon though as its a bit chunky for carrying around. that and weighs 3 times more than the new ones.

8. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Nice...I just scored an original ipod the other day. Can't wait to get it....and no I didnt pay anywhere near that ridiculous amount of money!

9. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Nice...you should sell it to me:D

I'm guessing its a second gen.

10. Lau Guest

It would be funny if it didn't work when someone finally opens it...:p

11. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

turns out some electronic eating termite got in through the corner unnoticed and slowly devoured the device

12. Lau Guest

Totally! The box is full of a little pile of dust and chewed components and a huge super-insect. :p

13. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Haha yes, things like that would haunt me to no end...until I caved and opened the darn thing...to lose about 700$ in value apparently:rolleyes:

14. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Now thats just mean :D

15. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Wow. I didn't even know if there were any survivers. I have a 1st gen almost broken but still works good.

16. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Nice...I wish they were worth that much.

17. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Kinda makes you think of why you didn't do that.

18. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

is that a second Gen? I cant remember exactly when apple started using Myriad on the iPod instead of good old Garamond

(my 1st gen still works, need a new battery for it though, only gives me an our or two at the most)

19. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Did you guys look at the bid history on this thing? The bidding started at $950!!!

20. mattjgalloway macrumors member

That guy is so clever for putting that away in a safe place... it makes me want to buy another MacBook and leave it hidden for a few years...

He's made a mint on that and well done I say, he chose the item well that would make cash. I reckon if you bought a modern day iPod and kept it for 4 years it wouldn't make that much...

21. iHotu macrumors regular

Did Apple use shrink wrap? IIRC they used the little round tape pieces to seal boxes.

22. Lau Guest

Yeah, I thought that too. And if you knew someone at any shop that has a shrink wrapping machine, you could just get an open, but unused iPod resealed. Not that I think there's much difference between that and a never opened one, but I presume that's what they bid so much for.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It looks like it has been resealed, mind you, it could just be 4 year old plastic wrap.

It's a 1st Gen, but released along with the 10GB model. The original 1st Gen didn't show the capacity and they used the Garamond font on the box and engraved on the back of the iPod.

24. dualsyste macrumors newbie

The funny thing is the old cat in the box with poison that releases on opening (anyone that has read a bit on how Quantum computing will know what I'm talking about).

He bought it clearly as a collectors item.

What if its empty.

What if the iPod doesn't even work.

Haha. He can't open it.