Brand of HD in Apple MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by artgirlofvenice, Nov 4, 2006.

1. artgirlofvenice macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the brand of the 120gig hard drive Apple ships in Macbooks? Still trying to determine what to buy to upgrade my 60 gig hard drive. :confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The new MacBook Pros have been coming with either a Fujitsu or Hitachi drive for the 120 GB models...Apple switches suppliers frequently based on availability and price. Not sure why it matters...as long as you buy a SATA notebook drive, it'll work in the MacBook. I like Seagate drives, but others are good too.

3. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I'd go with Seagate too, it's the only reliable brand that has a 5 year warranty on their Momentus hard disk drives (to my knowledge) while the others have 3 years.

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Yeah IMO Seagates are one of the bet drives you can buy, Fujitsu I've heard are also good for Notebooks.

5. artgirlofvenice thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook HD

thanks for all the info. Most likely going with the Hitachi 160 at macsales.com. Their website made it easy to order the right drive and the seagates ship in 5 days versus same day. We'll see what hits me today. thanks again for taking the time to post.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Good choice...the Hitachi 5K160 has been getting very good reviews from Mac users. Make sure you get the SATA version, not the IDE/ATA version.