Brand Spankin' new iBook G4!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dsharits, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

This is just a little testament to Apple's great customer service. A few weeks ago, my iBook G3 800 came down with the dreaded logic board failure issue, but fortunately, it is covered for three years for that specific problem. Anyway, Apple sent me a box, and I sent the iBook for the repair. When I checked the repair status online last Monday, it said that it had been repaired, sent and received by the customer. It hadn’t. My dad called DHL, the shipping company, and talked to the district manager, who told him that the box was nowhere to be found and was probably stolen. It had entered the Port Richey terminal and had not left, but it wasn’t there anymore. Finally, on Thursday, after hours on the phone with DHL and Apple, the Apple logistics rep told him to go to the Apple Store at International Plaza, and they handed him a brand new 1.2 GHz iBook G4! How cool is that? They would have been perfectly right to give me a refurb or an old G3 or something, but they gave me a new G4! Thanks Apple!

Daniel

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Another good story of Apple doing the right thing. Sure, it doesn't always work out like this, but you have to commend Apple for coming through like this.

Were you able to reinstall all your software and stuff? Hopefully you had everything backed up...

3. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Oh, absolutely. I would not even think of sending it in without backing everything up. I decided to do a fresh install off of the G4 restore disc, instead of cloning my backup HD. I only had to reinstall maybe three apps, the rest I just dragged from my backup, along with my prefs. Everything is restored, and I'm up and running again.

Daniel

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Well congrats ... not a bad iBook for you there!

I'd guess Apple would ship the iBook insured, so I wonder if they get $$$ for the lost iBook from DHL?

Enjoy your new toy. :)

5. lazymuoio macrumors member

Congratulations a true class act by apple enjoy the new ibook although i hate when things get stolen like that i ordered a wireless router which was stolen and it took weeks to get the situation under control and get my router

6. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I think this ended up being a combination of Apple's fault and DHL's fault. Apple admitted that they do not insure the packages, and DHL...well, let's just say, they didn't exactly keep track of it. Oh well, better for me!

Daniel