Brasso Questions

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Hytower77, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    Morning everyone. New to the forum here.

Got a quick question about the Brasso scratch removal and the 5g iPod.

I know it works on the back, but does anyone have any suggestions about the front. I've got 1 little scratch I want to fix before I use the greatness of the invisa shield.

Thanks

2. spb macrumors member

spb

get "displex" it works so well, i had hundreds of scratches on my iPod and it got rid of them all! well happy

3. lolex macrumors member

lolex

I think " displex " will do a better job," brasso " sounds a little scary to me to put on my ipod.:)

4. Hytower77 thread starter macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks for the info. Is there anywhere retail to grab that stuff? I saw a few online stores etc on their web site. But nothing local here in Dallas, TX.

5. Battousai macrumors member

I know a couple of people on the forums here said that toothpaste would remove scratches, but when I tried it, it just caused even more scratches. I was going to go get a bottle of brasso this weekend, and try that. A lot of different people recommend Brasso, but I'd never heard of "Displex" before.

Be sure to post back if you find a local resaler (I'm in the Houston area).

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Just about any metal polish with organic ingredients that also sells itself as an acrylic "cleaner" will do. some better than others. TEST FIRST! Just go to your local hardware store and ask for an acrylic polish.

7. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

people who make "displex" make big cash from people who don't want to use braso. why, because braso doesn't sound too appealing applying it to a $200+ electronical equipment.

but i've never tried either two. toothpaste i have on a cd, that works.

try brasso on a cd first. BOTTOM side.

8. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I'm posting this verbatum from the other thread since it's applicable ( I don't normally cross post )

[Displex] Sounds like an abrasive cleaner ( aka brasso ). It should work, but should not be used repeatly as you will slowly remove the surface of the device. As opposed to resurfacing liquids ( aka Applesauce ) to fill in the scratches with a materal that has the same refractive properties.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3298.htm

"How it works :

The plastic lens is lightly dissolved and polished with fine abrasive particles. The corners of the scratch traces are rounded off and the fissure bottom filled out with excess lens material."

Brasso Story - http://todd.dailey.info/archives/200...can-of-brasso/

9. Battousai macrumors member

I put on my invisibleshield with hairline scratches on Julia (my iPod), and after it dried, you couldn't see the scratches anymore.

10. davefan6435 macrumors regular

i used brasso on my 3g ipod and it worked fine, i was too scared to bother worrying about that for my new 5g ipod so I got the invisible shield