*Breaking News* - Coup in Thailand

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chundles, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

CNN are apparently reporting tanks moving into Bangkok. Thai State Radio has been interrupted.

I'll post more as more info comes available.

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

3. bartelby macrumors Core

DOH. Beaten to it...

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Wow. When my family went over there two years ago, they got the impression that the royal family were quite popular. I haven't been following the political climate there though, so I really have no idea what's been going on.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I hope everything goes alright. Bangkok is one of my favorite cities and my possible moving location after college. Just glad I'm not there today :D.

jon

6. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

The Thai PM - in New York at the moment - has declared a state of emergency in Bangkok, ordering his troops not to move illegally.

This is really strange - I was under the impression that the Thai royal family were held in quite high regard. :confused:

7. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

The royal family is very much loved. This conflict is between the military and the PM.

8. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

They are. Is appears that this coup is directed at the PM, not the royal family.
    Anyway, when I was there a year ago I got the impression that the Thai's took pride in the fact that they had one of the most stable governments in the region. Guess that all goes out the window today... :rolleyes: :eek:

EDIT:adroit beat me.

9. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Yikes!

The new series of 'Spooks' was on last night about a similar thing happening in London...

Frightening.

10. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

here we go

11. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Does the Royal family in Thailand hold any actual political power? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong.

I've heard a lot of small bits in the news over the past few months about dissatisfaction with the PM and calls for his resignation, but I don't know a whole heckuva lot about the situation. Time to skim a few news articles from the past few months...

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

And remember that they arrested 5 officers last week on suspicion of the coup. Urban intellectuals said that the supposed coup was just an attempt to curry favor with voters for the upcoming election, as the PM has most of his support in rural areas.

Can we actually learn to trust our govenments when they say that there are threats at election time?

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Only if that government has previously earned that trust of it's citizens.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ah! But what makes this situation so entertaining (in a detached sort of way) is that most city people believed that the administration was corrupt and abused its power.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I just saw this on CNN. Hopefully things will settle down there soon...

I wonder how long it will be before the headline reads "U.S. Gov't Declares Martial Law to Protect National Security"....

16. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

No official power but alot of influence as the general population love and respect him very much. That is the main reason his name is being invoked right now.

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i think the king is the lord and master, or something....of stuff.

wikipedia entry.

18. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

International news channels CNN and the BBC were taken off the air in Thailand, where a military coup has ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

19. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Just got off msn with my friend from Thailand. The military have closed down all the TV and cable stations and there are news that they might do the same with internet.

I still haven't had a chance to get a hold of my family in Thailand yet. This is a very sad news.

Not quite, consitutionally, king actually doesn't have any power at all or very little at the least. However, the current king have gained respect from the Thais by himself. He have many projects that really help the living quality of the people and made the country stable.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you didnt quote my whole post which gave a direct quote from wikipedia in regards to the king's power.

theres nothing like cutting your country off from the outside world so that propaganda may be spread!

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Crikey I hadn't read the full story...taking international news off the air is pretty serious stuff...how long before they disconnect landline internet?

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Yikes!

I really do hope that this ends peacefully.

I'm glade a school friend is no longer there at the moment.

23. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Sorry Sdashiki from not being clear with what I am trying to say in the first post.

I find this wikipedia quote to be misleading in two main parts.

1. I don't believe that it is illegal to mock or criticize the king by law. It just that no one ever does becuase there is nothing to criticize him about. But if somebody does that in public, he/she will probably get a lesson in respect from the thai people.

2. Also, the king does not appoint the Prime Minister. He is democratically elected.

The consitutional monarchy system in Thailand is pretty much the same as the one in England besides the fact that the royal family in Thailand is much more popular.

24. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Just talked to my family in Thailand.

The military have released some news channels now. Apprently everything is very peaceful and no one got hurt. It doesn't seems like the military would want to take control of the country and they've banned Taksin (the PM) from going back to Thailand.

My family is very happy about this, and I hope that everything will end well. :)