Breaking news: Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., suffers stroke

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just saw it on CNN. Nothing on the net yet. Stay tuned.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

anyone know how SD goes about picking a replacement senator?

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know they have a Republican Governor, so if Johnson is unable to continue this does not bode well for the Democrats in the Senate.

4. Queso macrumors G4

May not be that serious. My Dad had a stroke a few years back and made a full recovery within a couple of weeks.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just checked back with CNN. Apparently a replacement would be appointed by the governor. Also, Johnson's office is calling this "stroke-like symptoms", so in the absence of further info, who knows?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

doh.

i wonder, should the senate fall back to 50/50, if the GOP would still heed their own cries of bipartisanship.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no, they would not.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

59...he turns 60 on the 28th.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm hoping Johnson is fine and recovers quickly, but this does point out just how thin is that Senate majority. Two more years to election day? Can all of these Democratic Senators last until then? More importantly, can the majority of the Supreme Court last for two more years? It is a very slim thread on which many of our rights hang.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as long as he still alive, and refuse to resign, no replacement, replacement only happen when
    1> death, god forbid, he would be fine
    2> resignation.
    illness doesn't count a vacancy.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The CNN front page now has the headline "Senator hospitalized; doctors rule out stroke".

This could be good or bad I guess. Polonium anyone? ;)

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're kidding. He looks considerably younger in his pictures.

I saw George Stephanopoulouloupoulous on ABC this evening. He says historically very, very few congressmen have been forcibly removed from office because of illness. I really hope he's right.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Tim is my Senator and I hope everything turns out ok for him. He is a good man and about as honest as you can find (at least when it comes to politicians). He has done a lot for the state and since 1978 he has never lost an election. He first served in the State Legislature, then the US House, and he is on his second term in the Senate.

I am glad that a heartattack or a stroke has been ruled out, but since he is a cancer survivor I still worry. He appeared in good health last time I spoke to him in person last August. South Dakota is small enough that most residents get a chance to actually meet and speak with their elected representatives.

I don't even want to think about replacing him so I hope that he will be ok. If he had to be replaced Gov. Rounds would surely appoint a Republican, however when you are South Dakota with so little clout to start with it really hurts to loose the only person we had in DC with some clout. If common sense was used Rounds would appoint Daschle to finish the term since he has experience and senority, however that will never happen because the GOP would expect Rounds to give them the Senate back.

Anyhow, I have him and his family in my prayers. They are what is right about this country so I sure would hate to loose him as my Senator.

UPDATE: They just said his condition is serious on the local news. Not good.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh man, this does not look good. He's undergone what they call "successful" surgery, and his condition is listed as "critical". The hospital says that designation is standard for anyone who has had brain surgery. The next day or two will tell whether he survives.

Then there's this:

Which conflicts with earlier info that says he pretty much has to die in order for the governor to be able to appoint a replacement.

In the meantime, my best wishes go out to him, his family and his staff. This was so sudden it has everyone shaken.

CNN article

16. Queso macrumors G4

Fingers crossed for him.

And if he does die or become incapacitated, shame on the Republicans if they use this to their advantage. The thought of Neocons quietly celebrating over someone's illness and gleefully overturning the electorate's will sickens me.

17. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

But would it surprise you? It wouldn't surprise me.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Nothing to do with politicians surprises me anymore.

19. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Does anyone suspect that the guys poisoned him like the Russian spies dropping like flies? :eek:

20. Queso macrumors G4

Personally no, but read post #19.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, so go Kucinich! :rolleyes: (sorry for the soundbite but I gotta put one for the man...)

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That same thought ran through my head, though I don't take it seriously.

And honestly, while I abhor the Republicans, if the situation were reversed and an appointment would give Democrats control of the Senate, wouldn't we want a Democratic governor to take advantage of that?

I'm not absolving the GOP of anything, but in the same situation, we'd do it in a hot second.

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd say the Republicans are 99% likely to do it, while Democrats might be 98.7% likely...

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

This could quickly become the posion someone behind the capitol's back type of thread. I'm excited. :)