breast cancer evangelism

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i was wondering if anybody here has become evangelical about breast cancer awareness due to having suffered the disease or knowing someone who has suffered it?

i find i can't help but notice the topic at least twice a week on tv/radio and more often in my daily conversations with people

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Not evangelical yet

Ex wife is in late stages of treatment for breast cancer. I had diagnosis of testicular cancer 8 years ago, so that is the one I am more concerned about raising awareness of. Selfish me.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not evangelical but as a woman (and yes, I know that men can get breast cancer), it feels slightly more personal than other forms of cancer. I do wear a pink ribbon and I'll donate to charities fighting breast cancer. I'm well aware of how to check for lumps and do so regularly...

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It makes perfect sense that those affected (directly or via a friend or familly member) take up the cause, do fundraising, walk for a cure, spread the word, etc. It personalizes the work of helping patients, which can bring new attention and get others involved. It also lets people take comfort from the fact that they are "doing something" about the disease, whether or not they or the person they care about is helped directly.

It's hard to judge how much of a problem it is that the attention given to diseases is not proportional to their prevalence or seriousness. Clearly, it's a shame that cancer and heart disease have to "compete" for the same funds and attention and it's the same with the various types of cancer.

I admire those who do anything to help people with any of these diseases.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'm doing a PhD related to prostate cancer treatment, and I had to meet a man and his wife last Friday (8th of Oct). The Rotary club (health research branch of their club.....very generous) gave me a plaque that day, and he was there to present it to me. Anyway, he had prostate cancer (he had his prostate removed, but there was still a recurrence), and their daughter had died of breast cancer last year at age 34. She was diagnosed for breast cancer at age 28.

I spent 3-4 hours with them that day, and talked about everything from raising money for research (that's what they do), to diet and taking care of yourself. Needless to say, I have been eating better since last week. I knew all the information regarding what increases the risk of prostate and breast cancer beforehand (one example: Japanese men living in Japan rarely suffer from prostate cancer.....it's more a disease of the Western world), and yet I still ate crap and didn't do anything to decrease my chances and live a better lifestyle.

It's almost like a doctor who smokes. I know better, and I'm going to do something about it now.

6. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Fortunately in the real life I don't know any evangelists of the breast cancer - but do know people who have had it.

One (non-Mac) board I visit sometimes has one who definitely is, so she has the tendency to jump in any topic related to that and start telling her story and to evangelize... I'm not the only person who gets nauseated by it so there are several people who has actually changed the board they visit due to the same tit nazi.