Breast Ironing To Stunt Growth Widespread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rockthecasbah, Jul 7, 2006.

1. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Link.

According to CNN.com, Ironing the breasts of young girls before they mature to hault growth is a common practice in Cameroon, a small town. They state that this is to lessen the chances that their daughters will be raped. The article starts off with "1 out of 4 suffer this abuse to protect from rape."

To do this highly form of abusive protection, the individual takes a heated stone and press them against the girls' breasts. This is very painful not only phyiscally (you are really just burning the girls) but it is traumatic and performed by a relative. The article also notes that is dangerous to their health, causing severe pain, and possibly infection, breast cancer, and the hoped dissapearance of their breasts.

This is very sad, i don't know what is wrong with these people....:mad:

2. macrumors 604

scem0

eek, that is sad. Some might even consider it... rape. :rolleyes:

e

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Sadly, this is reminiscent of the reports we used to hear frequently about female circumcision. I'm not sure which is worse.

5. macrumors G4

Africa is in a shameful state. Even where I used to live in KwaZulu-Natal, which is quite prosperous by African standards, rape was widespread and it was quite common for women to have been raped on many different occasions. The parents of these girls simply think breast ironing is the lesser of the two evils on offer.

It's very easy for us in the West to be disgusted at the parents, but then we have luxuries like well manned and trained police forces looking after us. In Cameroon they don't have that umbrella.

This isn't right, but when put in context it is understandable.

6. macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about martial arts classes instead?

I know, I know... but seriously, that's horrible.

7. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Coming out of Africa Iam just not surprised at all. These people are a cultural mess big time. Ignorance seems to rule the day.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

So that makes destroying girls breasts alright? Rape is rape wherever it is. Just because it is Africa doesn't make their "rape" any different from rape that occurs "in the west". I know you don't personally agree (none of us do) that it is right. But just because they don't have the same exact protection we do with adequate police forces like you suggest doesn't make this any humane of a act.

9. macrumors 604

scem0

he didn't say it was humane, he just said it was understandable there given the prevalence of rape in that area.

e

10. macrumors G4

When there are no other options, people turn to desperate measures. It's no good us just wishing breast ironing didn't occur when it's just a symptom of the actual problem; There is no rule of law in much of Africa, and nobody is doing anything to improve the situation.

11. macrumors 6502a

crdean1

What about if the women banded together, took those hot stones, and stoned every male that raped. Now that might be a solution. I'm guessing there is no punishment for the rapes?? Sick.

12. macrumors G4

There's no punishment because there's nobody to catch them. That's the trouble.

13. Guest

iGary

14. macrumors 68040

mactastic

And don't forget, it took many years to get the rape laws here in the US and other western countries to not be blatantly favored towards the males. Things like rape shield laws and not being able to accuse the accuser of "asking for it" are still relatively new developments even here.

15. macrumors 68020

ham_man

WHEEE!!! Western Ethnocentrism rules the day!!!

16. Guest

calculus

Oh yes! Breast implants rule!