Breed Art: does anyone else think that place is awesome?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Jul 1, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

www.breedart.org just released their latest, Metempsycose, breed #22. it's got some cool artwork in it. lots of skins and things we can't use, but the art makes for incredible desktop pics, as well as great stuff to check out and look through, perhaps for hours on end. what you guys think?

2. Dahl macrumors 6502a

I think some of these sites ( there are many ) have some cool images here and there, but most of it is "sheep art", the same themed images over and over again. Some of the guys are very talented, but lack creativity.
    Too bad.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

wow! Where'd you find this? Its quite intense - a bit dark at times, but very cool.....I only spent about 30 minutes going through it - I'll have to go back and look at some more later....:D

D

4. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i was linked to it over a year ago from deskmod.com, another cool site, though one that has much less talent going for it (for obvious reasons, as you'd know if you went there... it's free for anyone to upload their stuff, and not heavily moderated). glad you like it.
    you bring up a great point, though i think it is less true of many of these people at breedart. i see genuine creativity there, overall, and it's astounding. some of it is very demented, and often there are a lot of images expressing similar emotions. but that's not really a bad thing if you ask me. it interests me. but if you find it monotonous, well, there's no accounting for taste ;)

5. Dahl macrumors 6502a

6. Dahl macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's because I'm a bit older than many of the artists there. I love morbid creepy designs too, but I have seen the same type images for close to 10 years ( even before these sites were online ). The designs are many times for the Marilyn Manson crowd, not the art crowd. Why don't people try to design something without using skulls, dolls, teeth and eyes for once ? A true artist steps into the dark, the unknown, not just redoing the same type design over and over and over and....

But I will check out BreedArt again, I haven't been there in ages. :)

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i'm aware of both. but if you don't see the huge difference between breed art and deviant art, then you really must not care about this stuff. the difference is like that between the local militia and the US Navy SEALS. breed art is full of people who are devoted and a tight group who interact closely and keep their ranks relatively small. deviantart is "anyone can come," like deskmod i mentioned. there's nothing wrong with that, though, it just means you have to sift for talent. a good friend of mine is on devart, she posts a lot of her incredible oil on canvas art work and other sketches, and it's incredible. you have to sift for stuff like that, as i mentioned. with breed there is much less sifting.

but the premise for any argument that lots of something makes it bad is flimsy as hell. i mean, come on, think how much of literally any genrea of music there is. classical? oh yeah! rock? ha! doesn't make them bad. there's plenty of bad stuff, sure, but still.

8. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

by the way, i agree with you about a lot of this. some "art" is genuinely without creativity, just a poor stage on which to display talent, and it does not strike me at all. there are very few great artists, however, compared to the number of people who try. giving up on looking for the great ones among all the rest won't get you anywhere. again, you have to sift. i am glad you are checking it out again :)

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

If I didn't share my computer with anything I would put one of those on my desktop. Seriosuly though a lot of that stuff is very dark. Good though :)

10. Dahl macrumors 6502a

Shadowfax, just because there are a lot of the same type images, doesn't make it bad. I agree with that, but I feel some of these "artists" should try harder, it's like they are afraid they are going to be looked at in a weird way by their fellow artists.
    Digital art is still young, so it still needs to grow. Many traditional artists are not good with computers, since they are older. So much of what we see are by very young guys, who love dodge/burn effects in PS, but they will hopefully continue to grow and pick up new ideas.

Digital art is kinda similar to lowbrow art, which is milking the same iconic images again and again, it works for a while but we ( the artists ) have to move forward. Again, it's fine if you love creepy images, I love it too, but many images look so generic that you can't tell the artist behind it. I would like to see some more personal touches.
    btw. That goes for web design as well, I see so many sites selling creative services, but their sites look like any site out there.

I just peeked at Breed again, it looks ok, I'll make sure to come back and spend some time browsing the site. :)

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I love it - new background picture.

Great art right there. I have a feeling I will use this site for various projects...

Thanks for posting it Shadowfax.

scem0

12. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i don't suppose wwe disagree much. but i think there are nuances to the genre a lot of people don't notice, for one, and i think those guys are more talented than most. but yes, much of it is much too dark and much too generic for me. but there are a few, not even necessarily more than 5 or 10 that just strike me and i love them. i've been sifting through breedart for, god, since it started, and i've only made about 4 wallpapers out of their stuff, and from that i only still use 2. i think i have a different standard for "great stuff" when referring to a body of things. much of it is admittedly mediocre :)

but remember what saliere (sp) said at the end of Amadeus ;)