Bremer Says U.S. Was Short on Troops for Occupation of Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 5, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Is this, in combination with Rumsfeld's declaration the other day, a bizarre Election strategy?

If not, it would seem the house that lies built is a crumblin'...

Either way, it's a horse race between Bushspeak and Reality with four weeks to go...

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

actually, there was a bunch of stuff i didn't quote, including the following. i thought it wasn't strictly relevant, but i was wrong!

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks like everyone got taken for a CHENEY ride. including george. :D

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Nevertheless, same question.

Because it is an interesting strategy.
    STEP 1. Co-opt and diffuse criticism by acknowledging reality.
    STEP 2. Remind people that running a country is hard and that you are bound to break some eggs making an omelette.
    STEP 3. When pressed on step 1, backpedal and qualify previous admissions, or insist you never said it in the first place.
    STEP 4. Crank the spin-machine and pundits up to "blend"

Result: a whole lot of confusion, at least temporarily (like four weeks)

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wait... so Saddam might have eventually had weapons of mass destruction, which other nations already had; and Bremer wanted to send more troops to stop something that wasn't there in the first place. Rummie says they were, then they weren't, now they are again. Cheney says they are a threat, but keeps changing the reasons why. Richard Clarke warned them all, yet no one listened, even after he turned out to be right.

And John Kerry is a flip-flopper because he supported the President based on bad intel, then changed his mind when the truth came out?

And we should send MORE troops to Iraq!?! Who? What? Where are we going to pull them from that we haven't already? Aren't the terrorists other places? Aren't they only in Iraq to fight us because we're there? I was on the fence before, but everyday I grow more and more fond of Kerry, simply because I am sick of the Bush administration not being able to admit his mistakes.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

There's an interesting Op-Ed piece by Paul Bremer in today's New York Times entitled "What I Really Said About Iraq". A few quotes that really stood out to me:

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

None of which has any bearing on the troop levels. Good work.