Brenthaven cases?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Demon Hunter, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    What has been everyone's experiences with these cases? I've looked at their website and I'm quite impressed, I can see why Apple chose them for cases at the Apple Store. Does anyone use them? I've heard surprisingly little about these bags!

They sound pretty sweet, even with their price tag of (about $139?):

"...custom made and fitted with military grade Ballistic nylon..."
  2. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    i just bought the mobility bag for my 12inpb.the build quality is very good.i say go to an apple store or to a compusa to check them out in person.
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
  4. nerd macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    I've got a Brenthaven bag for my 15" PB and I think it's worth the money. It's very well padded and has plenty of pockets.

I do have a couple of minor complaints.

1. The sleeve is a little too snug on my pb and doesn't completely close the way I think it should.

2. The shoulder strap is kind of short and makes the bag hang off my shoulder in a weird way. Maybe it's just me.
  5. colinp macrumors member

Jul 7, 2004
    I, too, have a Brenthaven for my 12" Pbook. I would agree with nerd that the strap is a bit short, but I don't think it hangs off my shoulder in a weird way. I went over to Macworld Boston today, and managed to pack ALL the free magazines, fliers, and demo CDs into it (along with, of course, my 12"- skipped the long registration line by registrating from my laptop! haha, damn I love this thing!!). The case can handle its own- great stuff.

I really like the snug fit of the sleeve, but agree that closed it doesn't seem quite right (though it is). Hard to explain, but I wouldn't worry about it. I'm very pleased with Brenthaven.

I agree with everyone else though, go to Apple store (or Apple reseller) and check them out for yourself. I ended up ordering from as I found a better price, but I checked it out at local Apple store first.
  6. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

May 25, 2004

I use a 12" Brenthaven case; it's what I use to bring my PowerBook to work everyday, and I use it on vacation too. If you need something more briefcase/business oriented, you might want to look at Tumi (if they make notebook bags) or some company that specializes in those products.

Otherwise, this case is great for me. I don't have much paperwork that I need to carry with me (though there is enough room for such things). I lengthened the shoulder straps, and it hangs just right. I walk a lot on my commute to work, so my shoulder gets tired, but that's what the handle is for. It's pretty durable. I throw it around with my PB in there without a worry. It's got little compartments inside that I use for my mouse and power adapter. There is a neoprene sleeve inside that I use to secure the notebook. The best feature is an incredibly easily adjustable strap on the outside that is used to tighten or loosen the flap that folds over the entire case.

If you have a lot of "stuff" that you need to bring to work - huge paper documents, books, numerous gadgets, or the like - look elsewhere. If you're using this primarily for your i/Pbook and a couple accessories, plus some small extras, this case is great.

Mike LaRiviere
  7. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Tom Bihn Bags

You should also check out Tom Bihn bags at I have a "brain bag" and "brain cell", which is a padded sleeve that fits inside. This way, if you're not carrying your computer, you don't need to haul the extra bulk of a built in sleeve. Also, the brain cell suspends your computer: it sits in a sling and doesn't actually touch bottom if you were to drop your bag. My wife's 15" TiBook fits in nicely.
  8. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    I have a Brenthaven professional backpack for my 12" pb, and I wouldn't trade it for any other bag I've seen. The thing is a tank, and I carry my powerbook with my mind at ease because the thing is so well padded, and so well constructed.