Brenthaven Fusion 12 Messenger Case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by svejar, Nov 12, 2004.

1. svejar macrumors member

Has anyone bought this messenger case? [​IMG]

It seems to be an "Apple exclusive", and one for us 12" iBook/PowerBook owners. I'm looking for a messenger bag/case for my iBook, and this one is tempting, being a Brenthaven and all. But I'm really wondering if it has any real protection against rain, since I'm living in a city where it rains approx. 260 days/yr...

But I wanted to check if anyone had bought it, or seen it in "real life".

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I saw one at the Apple Store here in Chicago - looks great and I can honestly say that Brenhaven makes the most durable bags available. I've had their backpack for 2 years of every day use and it shows no wear at all. I'm not sure of how watertight the messenger bag is but I've had the backpack in a hardcore rainstorm and the interior was still fully dry. I did spray mine with some Scotchguard though - not sure if that made any diff.

3. svejar thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for giving me the answer I was looking for ;)

How about the size? Since it's designed for the 12in models, I presume it's a rather "portable" case?

4. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I was allmost set on buying the 15" version of that case, but it simply dosent have enough room for my books and other school stuff. Looks like a really nice case.

5. svejar thread starter macrumors member

Well, it sounds like it could be pretty much perfect for me - I'm looking for a case that's got room enough for my iBook, adapter, iPod mini, mobile phone and a paper notebook. Right now I'm using a monstrous EastPak backpack, one of those with room enough to live in.

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

For me the size is a tad small but that's probably because I'm used to the monster 17" backpack. I also haul tons of stuff with me when I'm on the road. I do a lot of field work - graphics, audio, video so my backpack usually has: PB 17", 2 250 MB external FW drives, wacom tablet, audio/video cables, retractable phone/ethernet cables, Auto/Airplane charger/plugin, 2 socket surge protector, extra PB battery, PB power brick, Podium CoolPad, iPod, Altech Lansing InMotion speakers.

Needless to say my bag can be a bit heavy - there are days I pine for a 12" PB and a simple sleeve.

7. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

wow...that would suck if your bag was stolen. you have any locks on it?

8. Boobs macrumors newbie

I have the Brenthaven Mobility Backpack and I don't know what I would do without it. It keeps the rain out extremely well and is one of the most comfortable packs I've ever worn. I can store as much or as little school and computer stuff that I need, and if you were asking about a backpack I would recommend it. As far as shoulder bags go, my friend has a pretty sweet bag from TimBukToo, and it has pockets and storage up the yin yang. But if you're set on Brenthaven, then go for it. They make damn fine products, although a tad expensive, in my opinion.

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Sometimes - If I'm on location my bag is by my side 99% of the time and the people I'm working with respect each other's gear enough not to mess with my stuff. When I travel abroad I keep a small combo lock on the main gear compartment - if you ever do this make sure to take the lock off before going though any airport security checkpoints because they WILL want to see in your bag.

As "Boobs" pointed out the mobility backpack is great can you can alternatly load it with a ton of stuff or very little. Some days I just pull the laptop sleeve out of it and leave the backpack behind. It's a very spacious backpack as well - one that I've used for days at the beach (no PB of course).

If you're traveling at all I would always suggest a PB backpack - hauling any amount of gear in a shoulder bag starts to hurt after awhile.

Finally, I'm no fashionista but the best thing IMHO about Brenthaven's products is that they do not look like computer bags - nothing screams I HAVE $3K+ OF GEAR - which is nice in some areas of this globe.