Brenthaven or timbuk2 bag?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by waitingforG5, Dec 10, 2003.

1. waitingforG5 macrumors newbie

Hey guys i'm planning on ordering the 933 ibook today and was wondering what you guys think of both of these bags. I've narrowed it down to either the brenthaven deluxe slim or the timbuk2 commute. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I got a Brenthaven Pro backpack and it is the most wonderful laptop bag I have ever seen. Brenthaven has insanely great quality and look in my opinion and its got so much padding and protection that even I don't have to worry about the safety of my PowerBook (and I am really protective of my things). I don't know about Timbuk2, but personally I find their styling a bit ugly for my taste.

3. waitingforG5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if the timbuk2 bag can hold a pair of grado headphones.

4. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Brenthaven

i second the brenthaven choice. i have the shoulder bag...and it's perfect for my laptop.

5. Skilz34 macrumors member

I have the timbuk2 commute and I can tell you, it's a great bag. I do digital recording and I have to carry around my Sony MDR headphones along w/my 15" PB and it's great. Water resistant, great padding all around, rough and tough. I'd highly recommend this bag man................peace.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I hae a timbuk2 bag, I love it and lots of my friends are jealous because the colors are cool and its impossible to go out and buy something like it in the stores. I carry my bose triport headphones in it which are a similar size to most grados. I also feel safers because it looks like a backpack more than a computer backpack whereas the brenthaven screams steal me.... imo

7. gemio17 macrumors regular

That brenthaven bag is not even in the same category as the timbuk2-timb. is a casual, none-laptop looking messenger bag and the brent is a monstrosity of a bag-why do you need such a giant case for your cool little iBook?? (unless I checked out the wrong bag)-looks really bulky and exactly like something someone should swipe!!!! Go with the timbuk2....

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Another vote here for the timbuk2. I have one and its great. Holds everything I need it to while still being pretty slim, and it's extremely durable. I also like how it looks much better than the brenthaven.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The Brenthaven is not big by any means. It's in fact a bit smaller than my school backpack. I love it because of its compact size, in fact, along with its non computer looking design and its many pockets and tough yet soft nylon material.

10. Lurker macrumors newbie

I've been struggling to decide on a bag for months now. It's difficult accessing a bag just from pictures on the net.

Personally I feel it's difficult to compare the two. Having examined both at the Apple store, here's my take.

Firstly Timbuk2 has a more 'younger' funkier look to it. Perfect for students , or for those days you're 'dressing down.

Brent. More formal, business, no nonsense in appearance. Perfect for business and business-travellers.

The Brent felt and look far superior in construction and padding. Has far more pockets and compartments for ALL your gizmos.

I felt that my PB would be more securely padded in the Brent BUT looks so much like a LAPTOP bag that it might draw the attention of would-be thieves.
    The Timbuk2 just looked too 'youthful' that I could not take it to a business meeting plus it lacked the superior padding and compartments of the Brent.

So I've ordered a bag from Tom Bihn, it arrives on Friday. I'll post a review and decide whether I'll keep it. From initial impressions, when my wife ordered the Brain Cell, I was very shocked at the 'basic' construction. (I expected better quality of construction along the lines of the Brent, but wanted a 'dressed-down' non laptop-look).

In perfect world , I like the quality of the Brent but the look of a Tom Bihn.
    (If only the Brent did not 'look' so much like a laptop bag...and more 'messenger' in appearance with more color choices other than the basic black)

Lurker :)

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's another reason why I got the Brenthaven backpack. It really doesn't look like a laptop bag at all and it is both amazingly padded and has 21 pockets in all. It's got a place for everything. I have so many CDs, headphones, books, magazines, pens, two notebooks, two pairs of sunglasses, and my PowerBook in there and it's still got room for other stuff. Also a big plus is its padded straps, which are a lot more comfortable than the shoulder strap to my old Samsonite case, and the extra light weight it is compared to my old case as well. Overall, it seems like the perfect laptop bag I've seen to date. I was worried since I hadn't seen it besides pictures online, but I have loved it ever since I got it on Monday and I've even been using it for my classes as a general backpack as well.

12. g808 macrumors regular

i was trying to decide between these 2 bags for my 17" PowerBook. In the end I liked the amount of padding in the Brenthaven. My PB fits very snug and I just like the feel of a backpack over a messenger bag. also, the point of all the pockets it has is true. it doesn't look it but there is a place for everything you need to carry. i found a few pockets several days after i got it.

it would probably make more sense to get the timbuktu for your iBook since I'm not aware of any Brenthaven bags meant to fit the iBook.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Powerbookg5 you don't need to be so defensive :), IMO the brenthaven does look like a computer bag ,if I was a thief and saw a bag in that shape ... the padding causes the outline, i'd go for it ... whereas the timbuktu looks like i'd have books in it. My timbuk2 is a bit conservative just blues and blacks so i would carry it to an important meeting.

14. Lurker macrumors newbie

I may end up buying more than one bag for my 17".
    Women and my wife have different bags for different occasions ;)

Brent does make a book for the iBook (I can't seem to find it on their site but Apple does list it on their site. Called the Mobility 1. Pretty funky/cool color. Only wish they applied it to the bags for the PB range

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...408/wo/mg1PAy1l0pXs2X0S6te1mxJJqC2/1.3.0.5.10

Love the look/design of their Professional 17 Shoulder case (Make one with color selections and 'messenger' configuration, and I'm all over it)

:D

ps. In defense of Tom Bihn, regarding my comments on the construction. Seeing my wife struggle carrying her work laptop and fugly, heavy laptop bag, I can appreciate why the Bihn bags are made 'thinner' than the Brent bags.

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The thinner laptop sleeves are good for when you just need to carry your laptop and nothing more than a few papers and a pen or two, that's for sure. That was something I was struggling with since my old bag was massive, heavy, and not well padded. I thought about getting just a sleeve, but then I thought it'd be easier to get a backpack so when I got to classes I can cary books, too, plus it'd make flights home that much easier. As far as the Brain Cell sleeves and such, you can buy an actual bag to fit it into, which ends up giving the extra padding that you may want. I looked at some of Bihn's bags, and they are pretty cool, but I just wanted something different.

And I don't mean to come off defensive, I just really like the bag I purchased and I know how difficult it is to find that right bag, so I want to give as much input as I can on the subject. Also, I'd recommend anyone to go to www.spireusa.com and check out their offerings. I nearly got a Volt XL instead, until I noticed that shipping would take close to a month and I needed the bag right away.

16. Lurker macrumors newbie

No worries, :). You know what you like and works for you, so it's cool.

Yeah, I know. That's why I decided to go for Bihn. My Brain Cell is matched to the Courier I just purchased.
    I don't know what the Bihn bags look/feel like in person(my first one will arrive tomorrow), I based my opinion on the two Brain Cells we purchased. They just looked a little 'lean' in construction,stitching and padding compared to the Brent sleeve in the Apple store. But I liked the whole concept of their designs and the forward thinking. Their website is thorough and their service has been stellar.

There are so many great selections out there. I've search high and low on this forum to get people's opinions. There are just so much and ONE has to decide what works for you(check with the Company's return policy before you buy).

Here's just selection I've come across on this forum(and that appealed to me)
    Brenthaven
    Tom Bihn
    SpireUsa
    Samsonite
    Hegren
    Incase
    Waterfield
    Crumpler
    Timbuk2
    Mareware

Do your 'due diligence' before you purchase.

:)
    ps. The Timbuk2 'Commute' was another serious consideration

17" PB. And loving it. New switcher

17. Lurker macrumors newbie

Got my Tom Bihn Courier bag on Friday and also decided to buy a Brenthaven Pro 17" from Compusa to compare.

Unfortunately the Bihn did not meet my needs :( and so I've decided to go with the Brenthaven, and the added padding/protection it has.

If you want to know why, email me offline.
    Bihn still a well-made bag though :)

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The Brenthaven really is in a higher league with the level of padding and protection it provides between the inner sleeve and extensive padding on the bottom. I don't have to worry about my PowerBook getting damaged, which says a lot, since I tend to be really protective of my things.

19. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I'd go for the Breanthaven bag personally. They look cool and offer great protection... but I have to say, any of the bags on Apples own website are great quality, I've experienced two of them first hand and whatever you go for, you woon't be dissapointed