Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryW

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi all

I would just like to know if people still use briefcases/Attache cases in the working environment, or do you just use your notebook bag.

What is "acceptable" in a professional work environment.

The reason I ask this is I am starting a Job soon, and would need to carry some stuff. I would just chuck everything in my backpack but I don't think that would go down well.

I have been looking whats available in the stores, and everything is so boring and ordinary.

Feedback and suggestions would be appreciated.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Zero Halliburton, baby. Zero Halliburton.

Especially if you wear a suit to work every day (or shirt and tie at least). :cool:

But yeah, it totally depends on the work environment. If you work in a very professional office environment, a briefcase/attache case is probably the best bet. If you work in a casual office environment where pants and t-shirts are acceptable as work attire, a backpack or messenger bag would be fine.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have a Jack Georges one that I love. But in my experience in consulting and engineering environments, laptop bags are the modal response. That's my experience from sales also (watching as a client, though; I've never done sales).

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
My dad believes a Hartmann breifcase is a must. I don't know if his counts because its not like hard sided. I don't know if its your style but this is what it looks like. His is a darker leather and its a slightly different design- a little more formal or something I guess.

470_5140.jpg

It was ~$600. He wrote it off as a business expense.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I used to travel around with a bunch of Hallibutons. I also more recently commissioned some custom variants of their carbon fibre cases. But these have lain mostly unused.

I've gone right off rigid attachés for everyday use. Business dress everywhere is more relaxed and whether you're carrying a computer or not, I think a shoulder bag is a much better proposition these days. There are plenty of classy ones around.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Any notebook / messenger bag should work. Black is a pretty standard "professional" look. Every place where I have worked, and been given a laptop - I have also been provided with a case. It's worth asking ! But if you need something you carry your stuff in on the first day, I'd grab an inexpensive messenger case.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
the laptop bag (black leather) seems to be a standard these days but people will definitely notice if you show up with a classy looking briefcase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.