Brightness control at last!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by markfc, Sep 18, 2006.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Holymoly, at last a brightness setting for the iPod!!!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes..woop. Nothing particularly revolutionary about that. It's just been a bit slow coming. *shrugs* Never felt the need for it anyway. it sits in my pocket all the time, so i don't give much of a damn how bright the screen is, unless it' so bright that it's showing through my jeans o.0

3. oclor macrumors regular

I'm so excited about this, I have a shuffle and boy does this help!!!!!!!!! ;)

4. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

what? did i miss something,, again? what brightness control?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Alongside the announcement that the screens on the latest iPods are brighter, it was also announced that there is a screen brightness control in the latest software. It's primarily for the benefit of watching videos on the full size iPod 5G or 5.5G or whatever we're calling it. :)

6. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

aahhhh,, gotcha.
    i thought there was a control on MY ipod i was missing. DOH!

7. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

Finally!! I love it saves a lot of battery live. why did it take so long? :confused:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My guess is that this latest iPod didn't even originally have it, but was slated to get a brighter backlight from the beginning. Then, they started doing focus groups and people started complaining that the new backlight was too bright.

The same thing sort of happened with a lot of PDAs and handhelds. My Axim lives on the lowest brightness setting. Which is close to the max of my iBook. I know too that a lot of people reported that they keep their Nintendo DS units near the lowest backlight level.

So basically I think it just started becoming an issue as the small backlight technology got brighter and brighter. I hope we get to the day soon where what happened with my Axim happens with notebooks. :D