Brightness issue

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Deepdale, May 8, 2005.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

When I look at the Powerbook screens with the brightness at the maximum level, I cannot help but be reminded of Peggy Lee's song "Is That All There Is"?

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I used to think this too.
    Then I did color correction on the screen, and it became much more acceptable.

3. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

That's right. Especially the 12" displays (same on iBook as well as on PB) can't compete with other notebooks on the market. The german computer journal c't reported that the brightness of the 12" Powerbook is 110cd/m^2, low end Wintel Notebooks typically have something around 140cd/m^2 (or better). Even if you think you can live with less brightness, this does also mean that the PB displays are not going to last too long.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The PB 12" screen is virtually useless in daytime shade. If anyone has dreams of using their Apple portable, such as writing a novel under a tree or sitting outside a cafe in Paris surfing the web, forget it. You need the HoodMan™.

[​IMG]

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

*rotfl* Many people buy Powerbooks because they look so neat.. but with this HoodMan thing you would be the laugh of the day in this cafe in Paris ;-)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Remember that the Rev A and B 12" PBs came with a different screen than the rev C and D. Since I have a rev B, I have an even worse case than many of you!

And colour correction and calibration doesn't do enough.....

Yes, I did use SuperCal, but calibration isn't magic. Its not going to make your screen brighter. It may make the colours look less washed out, though, and that's exactly what SuperCal did for me, and I'm happy. :)

7. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

But would it really be this more expensive for Apple to use better displays in their Powerboooks? I mean, they are targeting graphic professionals, after all (well, probably not with their 12" PBs). It's really annoying, whenever I show my 12" PB to somebody the first thing I usually hear is, "That's a really dark display". This isn't exactly a good advertisment for Apple.

8. tangent23 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

you could just get a piece of black material and drape it over the screen to your head to form an 'enclosed visual bubble field' [EVBF], maybe with some dowell arms taped to the sides to keep it from drooping.. would save you money with the added bonus of protecting against skin cancer..