Brightness/sound/keyboard-backlight controls causing problems on a 15" G4 Powerbook.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brade, Mar 14, 2004.

1. brade macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2004
    Hello all,

I have been experiencing a problem regarding the brightness/sound/keyboard-backlight controls on my 15" powerbook (G4, 1.25Ghz., 512 MB, OS X 10.3.2). Occasionally, they seem to get "laggy" and "stuck" when I am attempting to adjust them (quite often after the powerbook's been asleep). As a result, the finder locks up and the whole system comes to a standstill, where it either logs itself out or I have to do a cold reboot to recover.

For example, I may attempt to adjust the screen-brightness and all the sudden the powerbook takes over, fluctuating the brightness up and down. It seems to follow my increment/decrement inputs, but just performs the operations extremely slowly. It carries on with this "laggy" behaviour for a minute or two while going into a downward spiral. Just for the record, the onscreen indicator shows all this activity, but since it's performing the operations so slowly, the indicator gets stuck on the screen for a long period of time.

Occasionally, if I leave the powerbook alone it will recover on its own, but most times this is not the case. Though this has been happening for weeks now, I have not really found a solid pattern in the occurrences -- though it seems to happen most often in the first few minutes after waking up from being asleep. If it only happened then, I'd put it down to the powerbook still being groggy as it comes up, but it happens other times as well.

I guess my question is, has anyone experienced this? What systems do you think are causing this (ie. hardware sensors/software)? The nature of the problem points at the software, and I am planning a reinstall of Panther if I can't sort it out soon.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

2. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Open Disk Utility>Select your HDD>Click "Repair Permissions"

see if that does it
  3. iChan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland.
    i have the same problem. I don't know what i could be... it tends to happen when i have loads of programs running all the same time.

I just don't really play around with those buttons anymore, at least until panther gets updated again. All i can hope for is a fix to the problem.