Bring Back Arrested Development!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bowens, Dec 27, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I just started watching this show a month or two ago on G4 and on HDNet, and I'm wondering how did I miss this show when it was on? This is the funniest show I have ever seen. Why did they only make 3 seasons of this show? I have just ordered season 1 on DVD so I can start it from the beginning. What are your opinions on this show?

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I could not get into that show, but maybe I just didn't watch the right episode. (You know what I'm talking about, the episode in a show that just grabs you and keeps you watching till it's replaced by another reality show)

IMO nothing outdoes "Scrubs" :)

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I've found that, in a way, it's kind of like Lost or 24. I know you can say that it's nothing like those shows, but it kind of is. You have to watch from the beginning or you just get lost. There are so many sub-plots and stories and so many throwbacks to other episodes that you need to know what happened before to get some of the jokes.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I love that show as much as anyone else, but every time someone says this I feel like that old Penny Arcade strip about Tribes 3: "I can't get any more blood out of this stone!" "Boy, I sure love beating this dead horse!"

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I loved the show but they shouldn't bring it back.

They ended it and ended it well. Bringing it back would be a painful travesty.

It's like Michael Jordan making the comeback with the Wizards.

6. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

We're late to discover most television shows, since we've not had network or cable television for...10 years? (Not counting the 2000 hockey season.) My wife and I both thought that Arrested Development was funny, and that it just got better as the series went on! A friend pointed out that this series (and Scrubs) were both available on Netflix, so we started watching. The only reason that Scrubs has pulled ahead in laughs is that we've had more to watch.

I'd like to see this show come back too, but from what I've read while flipping around the net it's not likely to happen. :(

7. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I know they're not going to bring it back. I'm just amazed that a show as good as this only lasted 3 seasons.

8. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Network television has a serious issue with pulling shows before their time is up. Peter Griffin put it best:

Peter Griffin: Everybody I've got bad news. We've been cancelled.
    Lois Griffin: Oh no Peter! How could they do that?
    Peter Griffin: Well unfortuantely Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We just got to accept the fact that FOX has to make room for terrific shows like: Dark Angel, Titus, Undeclared, Action, That 80's Show, Wonder Falls, Fast Lane, Andy Richter Controls The Universe, Skin, Girl's Club, Cracking Up, The Pitts, Firefly, Get Real, Freaky Links, Wanda At Large, Costello, The Lone Gunman, A Minute with Stan Hooper, Normal Ohio, Pasadena, Harsh Realm, Keen Eddy, The Street, American Embassy, Cedric The Entertainer, The Tick, Louie, and Greg The Bunny....
    Lois: Is there no hope?
    Peter: Well I suppose if all those shows go down the tubes we might have a shot.

9. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I loved AD....there were lots of petitions, etc., to keep it on, wasn't meant to be. Ron Howard suggested it might be developed into a movie. One of my other favorite shows, Strangers with Candy, was canceled after three seasons, then turned into a movie, which I thought was pretty sucky compared to the show.

If you want a show that is like AD, Thirty Rock on NBC at nine thirty on thursdays is pretty similar in humor. It's a bit more palatable for more people. AD at times could be grating if you weren't ready for it...it wasn't a show that a slower mind, or a tired mind, could sit back and just chill with.

I also like the Office...but lately it's been a little over the top with its humor, I thought it hit its stride in the second season with episodes like "Boys and Girls," and this season has not been as great..but still have hope for it.

I don't know why, but Scrubs has always annoyed me....the people I know who like Scrubs don't like my sense of humor either.

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

To all AD fans.

My dad's an architect with his own firm and he's designing, or has designed (not sure if he's still doing it or if he's finished already) a house for the creator Mitchell Hurwitz. Just a fun fact. I've personally never seen an episode of the show:eek:. But i have a friend who's obsessed with it and cant believe that my dad has met him and designed a house for him.

11. jive macrumors 6502a

I'm watching it right at this moment. Brilliant show. So many running jokes though, it is hard to keep up with if you're never seen it before.

12. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I couldn't watch it. I saw it once and prayed to God that I would never have to watch it again. If I were in a torcher chamber, and they had that show on, I'd tell them everything they needed to know.

I don't feel strongly about this at all.;)

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Same. I don't like Scrubs, and I really don't understand why it's popular.

Arrested Development, on the other hand, is (was) one of the greatest TV shows ever. I got the 3rd season for giftmas and plan on watching it all in one day. It was a show that needed to be seen in it's entirety because of all of the sub-plots and running jokes. It got better and better as it went on. The end of season 3 was incredible.

Another show I'd like to still have is Six Feet Under. There's no way I'd want them to bring that back though (and no way they could) after the brilliant series finale. That was the best episode of any television show ever. Ever.

14. Excursions macrumors member

Arrested Development is comedic genius. There are so many running jokes and lots of jokes that a simple mind would not even notice. The American population just wasn't ready for such a smart sitcom. The third season was scheduled to be a full 20 something episodes but was cut back as ratings of the second season were low. There is a lot of info in the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrested_Development_(TV_series)