Bring back MS Mouse and get MX 1000

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Story here:

As some of you know the MX 1000 had an instant rebate in both Staples and BestBuy making the total $49.99 + tax. Very good deal. I saw this myself in BestBuy and just had to get one now that it was much more affordable. So, I went over this morning (earliest I could get back there) and I see it's not back up to $79.99 in Staples (normal price) and $83.XX in BestBuy ( :confused: ).

So I was really bummed. I looked in a few other stores too and they were all $79.99.

Then in Target I found that really cool MS Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse where the receiver snaps into the bottom of the mouse. Seen here.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has to be used on a Mouse pad because the optical doesn't work usably on most other surfaces. However, I really like the mouse. This will be used with an iBook and is nice because I can slap the receiver in the mouse and throw it in my bag.

The mouse does feel a little backless, meaning the back of my hand is dragging on the mousepad. This feels a little weird but also feels like I have a lot of control over the mouse.

So I got home and decided to check out good 'ol Amazon. They have the MX 1000 for $61.27 with a $20 mail in rebate totaling only $41.27, less than I was originally going to pay! It's shaped really nice and rechargeable.

Only doubts about returning mine and getting is the station thing. It's kinda bulky to take around in my carrying case. I really like the mouse, though, even though that I would only use the 2 buttons and scroll wheel to avoid installing software. This is the mouse I really wanted because I don't like mousepads (and especially carrying one when traveling) and the laser works very well on other surfaces. Another doubt is the rechargeable battery. I know this is a good feature, but it could also be bad, if I need my mouse, it dies, and I don't have time to charge it. The MS mouse, I can just pop another single AA battery in and be good for another few months.

What do you think would be the best thing to do. Not worried about price, as the MS mouse was like $35 and the MX 1000 would be $41.

I would like to get the MX 1000, but I'm thinking the MS mouse may be better to use with an iBook because of the portability of the mouse and slim receiver.

What do you think?

2. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I would just keep the mouse with the retractable cord. Having the retractable cord will be very good for portability and that way you wont have to lug around the charger as well. As long as the mouse you have now works and is up to your standards, then what is so great about the MX1000.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Maybe I was unclear, sorry. It doesn't have a cord, it's wireless as well. The little USB Receiver/Adapter snaps into the bottom of the mouse for easy storage and portability.

Things I like about the MX 1k is that it's laser (no mousepad), more accurate (little less jumpy), bigger for back of hand to rest on.

However, I do really like this one, but am seriously thinking about returning it.

4. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    One issue i have with the MX1000 is the USB base station it kinda doesn't allow it to be portable. So I think depending on your use maybe take that into account. However if the MS Wireless mouse requires a mouse pad that kind of makes it not very portable as well! Good luck!

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'd go for the mx 1000. if you're a member of sam's club or shop at newegg it can be had for $60. also if you ever need to take it anywhere you can use the mini-receiver for their standard notebook mouse (if you can find just a receiver) except for charging, iirc. it's really a great mouse and quite comfortable imo.

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Thanks! It's only $42.17 from Amazon, so I think I'm going to order tomorrow. My wrist hurts a bit from using the MS mouse because it has no length to support my wrist so it ends up hitting the mousepad and creating a constant bend in my wrist. I also like a bigger mouse for photoshop.