bring back old tennis

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i miss the days of tennis when there were wood rackets...it made things more interesting with a lot more finesse

where is the art in tennis today? it just seems like a brute force sport based on hitting the ball hard and fast

i like the serve and volley games and long rallys of the past

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

As long as I get to watch Kournikova work it out on the court, you can do anything you want to the sport. :D

Taft

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

then let's go way back to tennis before the invention of clothes:p

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Nice. We'll call it a tribute to the original olympics. Thats what I call entertainment!!

Taft

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    man oh man...she's about the only reason to watch tennis...

i'd even watch her play golf ...or checkers...or yahtzee

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i never got too into kournikova.... i mean, she doesn't do much for me....

better than the scary williams sisters though

tennis just needs one thing back:

patrick rafter!

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

who are you addressing?

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Jello,
    I was referring to MacEnroe or however that is spelt, I hope this does not sound patronizing, I wasn't really referring to anything I thought it would get a laugh, well no more lame jokes for me.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahhh. ha!

now that i know what the reference was, yeah, it's funny.

i can imagine him saying it pretty clearly.....

he's a pretty funny guy. too bad he signed up to host that dumb show on tv.... blah

11. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

IMO, I see nothing wrong with tennis today.. maybe because I'm used to it, but from the way I see it, a player with "brute force" hitting the ball "hard and fast" will beat a player from the yesteryears. No offense to anyone, but I've seen tennis matches from back when and it doesn't seem as exciting as they do now. I'm not saying I can beat anyone older than me. I know some guys in the early 70s that whoop on me all the time.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Personally...I don't play tennis...nor do I follow the sport...

but I am tired of hearing about the Williams sisters anytime I do hear about it...it seems that they are constantly in the spotlight...get over it!!! :rolleyes:

are they just running out of people to beat?!

anyway...tennis I have never really cared for....but racketball I can get into...he he he ;)

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Seems that way. The past two grand slam finals have been contested between the Williams sisters. Takes a lot of the fun out of it really - kind of like what Schumacher has done to F1 :(

In reference to returning to wooden rackets.....Rusedski recently did some trials, using rackets from the 70's and 80's. It made almost no difference whatsoever to the speed of his serve. It's just a different game nowadays. Watching Hewitt play against Henman (at Wimbledon) was incredible though. That guy is exciting to watch.

14. iGav macrumors G3

It's not really the Williams sisters or Shumi's fault that they dominate their respective sports....... it's really upto the others to raise there game and take themselves to another level........ and challenge them......

Sports always been the same though.... whether it be Borg in Tennis, then Graf etc etc.... or Fangio, Prost, Senna in F1...... pretty much all sports have this and it's really always been the same........

I remember that Rudeski test.......... he was just canning those balls down the court......

hewitt though is so cool to watch... some of the shot's he pulls off is just incredible....... after someone like pistol pete it's certainly refreshing to see a baseliner play instead of the usual big servers like sampras etc etc........ again though when Pete was in form.... (which was about a total of 9 years) he was the greatest tennis player I have ever seen........

15. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

While I wasn't really alive for the "good ol' days" of tennis, I find that it's really become a game of power (as mentioned multiple times in this thread). I wish the players would focus more on the strategy and placement of the shots rather than just overpowering your opponent. The mental game involved in tennis is what got me involved in the first place!

-ArtMan617