Bring on Aperture X!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cflem, Jul 16, 2013.

1. macrumors member

PLEASE! :)

Sorry to beg - the Logic update has got me going.

C

2. macrumors 6502a

But that would just mean that I would feel compelled to spend another $79. ;)

3. fivedots, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Yes, please.

Unfortunately, I would think we've got at least a month to go. Releasing it too close to the Logic release would be a waste of free publicity. Release it in August to make a splash between Logic and the fall releases.

It's a been a quiet year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something coming monthly for the next while to capitalize on the news cycle.

June - WWDC / iOS 7 & Mavericks Preview
    July - Logic
    August - Aperture
    September - iPhone, etc.
    October - Mac Pro

& so on.

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

http://www.apple.com/feedback

I've been asking for an updated OpenGL implementation for Mari for awhile and I'm not by any means saying my asking helped at all but Mari is coming to Mac this summer thanks to the updated OGL :)

5. macrumors 601

6. macrumors 6502a

Speaking for myself, not really. I stopped using Aperture seriously a year or two ago. I use it now for Photo Stream and my iPhone pictures because I find it quicker/easier to work with than iPhoto.

I much prefer the Aperture interface but Lightroom 5 is light years ahead in features and will be hard to beat. I'm very curious to see what they come up with and how it will compare.

If it is even in the same ballpark as Lightroom, my interest is piqued.

7. macrumors demi-god

Nah, I don't expect many people are "waiting". We might be "hoping". Life and images pass you by if you wait. I get on with making images with Aperture+Nik+other plugins and PS (as needed), throwing in C1, DXO (again, as needed) . It's a great, great setup for me.

8. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I hope the new Aperture uses the dark interface as well. Most of my apps I use have that and I like it so much better. Aperture is pretty bright on an LED monitor.

9. macrumors 6502

steveash

I wonder if Apple are seeing Adobe's move to subscriptions as an opportunity to revamp their pro apps. Dreams of iPhotoshop...

10. macrumors newbie

Aperture is better than I thought

I've used Lightroom for about three years and have just switched to Aperture in lieu of upgrading to LR 5. Aperture handles Fuji's RAF files better than LR and has far more features than I realized when I first checked it out a couple years ago. I had to resort to a tutorial to unlock the program for my slow brain, I'm ashamed to admit, but I'm pretty happy now. I use Pixelmator for layers and such.

All of that said, of course I'd love to see an upgrade.

----------

As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?

11. macrumors G4

I don't know if they space the releases to keep the news going. We've all seen Apple release multiple things at the same time. But I do think Apple will have all the pro apps refreshed before the Mac Pro is released. So your schedule might be good or at least no more than a couple months off.

12. macrumors 68020

Seems like Apple is completely revamping all its pro apps, and yes, looks like Aperture is next. If they do what they did to first Final Cut and then Logic, we can look forward to a revamped UI. :)

13. macrumors 601

Why would you say it "looks like it's next"?

And yes, the UI is severely dated.

14. macrumors 6502a

True. Though sitting on finished software to release at the desired time is much simpler and less risky than holding back hardware.

Process of elimination, they've already updated the other two.

15. macrumors 68040

So... for consistency... do you think it will be renamed "Aperture Pro X"?

FCPX
    LPX
    APX

/Jim

16. macrumors 6502a

I think there's a good chance. Not only for consistency among the software, but also to tie it to the "Pro" hardware, whether or not that is MBP or Mac Pro.

17. macrumors demi-god

It is definitely dated, but it does work. I'm thankful they didn't take the (in my opinion) gawd-help-us approach of the LR4/5 interface, which when you compare it PS, it's hard to believe they're from the same company :)

18. macrumors 68020

Apple has been revamping all their pro apps, starting with Final Cut Pro and Logic. Can you think of any other Apple pro apps? Filemaker perhaps, but other than that …
    Compared to X-series Apple pro apps, sure, but compared to its competition, I don't think so.

19. macrumors 601

I wonder if this will be a free upgrade or another charge.

20. macrumors 6502

It would be unusual!

I think you have to see this as a revamp rather than an update. As such and there are already been two revamps to X, I think it will be $79! First day purchase for me!

I have this horrible feeling though that they will combine IPhoto and Aperture in a new package under a new iLife X......iPhoto has been were they have had all there investment for this type of app recently!?!?

21. macrumors 68020

That's obvious: it's a major upgrade, so you'll have to pay. I reckon the price will stay the same, so I'll pay less than what I paid for my Aperture 2 --> 3 upgrade. And after so many years, I have no problem paying for an upgrade.
    Why do you worry about that? Final Cut Pro X is not a merger of Final Cut Pro and iMovie, iMovie is still around and Apple has no intention of merging it with its pro video editing app. Ditto for Logic vs. GarageBand. I don't think there is any need to worry that Apple will make Aperture into iPhoto Pro.

22. macrumors 6502

steveash

Thanks that's very kind of you. At the moment for me there is no real alternative to Photoshop's retouching tools. I use it in-depth and spend quite a bit of time on every picture. If I was doing events it might be a different story. I would love to have an alternative as my software costs will triple (UK prices) with CC compared to CS upgrades every 2 years.

23. macrumors 68020

Pixelmator is a competitor to Photoshop Elements, not the big version of Photoshop. If you can get by with Photoshop Elements, in all likelihood you'll get by with Pixelmator. I have Pixelmator and I can't think of anything I'd need that Pixelmator doesn't offer.

24. macrumors 6502a

For me, it's missing merging panoramas and HDR (e.g. merging to 32-bit files, then bringing back into Lightroom to tone map, not true HDR).

By no means faulting Pixelmator for this - it's great, and those features are somewhat out of scope add-ons. I would really love to switch to Pixelmator and support them, but to do away with PS completely I would have to purchase a few other tools to fill the gaps instead of a one-stop shop.

I'm hoping Aperture X incorporates some of these features so I can consider a pure Aperture/Pixelmator workflow.

25. macrumors member