Bring on the Aluminum MacBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CommodityFetish, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

May 31, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Who else will be waiting for the new Aluminum(?) Macbook in April/May?

(oh, would that it came without the internal optical drive I will have to carry around everywhere I go and never use... )
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 5, 2007
    I give up caring. Apple disappoints me every Tuesday. Looks like I'm going to Alienware. At least their computers can glow red.
  3. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    I've decided to resurrect this thread...

I go to the Apple Store and see the wonderful MacBook Air. I really like the alumimum case and the black, backlit keys. Not enought memory or hard drive space though. I would like to put all my iTunes stuff and photos on one laptop, instead of just my server. My iPod, iPhone, and older laptops don't have enough space.

Really tired of the white and the extra money for black isn't really worth it.

Will the Alumimum MacBooks be out this Summer? I'm thinking of getting one the minute it's out....

I would like Apple to save the money/production costs and get rid of the black one. Only offer the Aluminum one with the backlit keyboard, multitouch pad, and the same specs now starting at the $1099.
  4. macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Make it Aluminium, chuck in a dedicated video card, shrink the screen to 12" and include the same keyboard as the MacBook Pro.

Then we're talking :cool:
  5. macrumors 68020

Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    Won't probably happen. They need their products staggered in value and price.
  6. macrumors member

Nov 14, 2007
    So what you want, is a 12" powerbook....with intel...good luck with that
  7. Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Eww. :p

I don't deny that the "pro" notebooks' KBs look nicer, but in terms of feel and use? I adore the MB/ new alum KB feel. It's basically why I got a MB in the first place. :eek:
  8. macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I keep going on about it, both here and to Apple. I really can't understand why they would drop their best laptop model completely.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2006
    Totally agree. I am so much happier using my MacBook than my MacBook Pro as I don't get a shock every time I touch it and the keyboard doesn't feel like ice. The MacBook material is a treat and I think it would be a shame if they ever changed it.
  10. macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2008
    Mississauga, ON
    Aluminum might happen as mac is going to go green. But if the do go green, aluminum is much more costly then polycarbonate, and that is already quite costly as it is a great material, but the casing is not green, and apple are going fully environmental friendly. The cost will obviously go up for the new macbook aluminum.
  11. macrumors demi-god

Oct 9, 2005
    Personally, I don't mind the plastic polycarbonate of the MacBook cases - the heat from the internal components doesn't go straight through the case and on to my legs like my MacBook Pro does. And I'm much happier for it.
  12. Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    The aluminum casing would also reduce the MacBook's weight and will make it more recyclable. Yes, I predict that the next MacBooks will have an aluminum case.
  13. macrumors member

Dec 11, 2007
    los angeles
    am I the only one who adores the white? it just stands out...aluminum wont do it for me...
  14. macrumors member

Nov 2, 2007
    I don't think Apple will release an aluminum MacBook, that would blur the lines between MacBooks and MacBook Pros.
  15. macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2008
    Why not Alu with colors, like the iPod Nanos and the Shuffles?
  16. macrumors member

Jul 31, 2007
    Explain the new iMacs and Mac Pros? Also ALL the iPods are at least available in silver (cept iPod Touch)

I think Apple are moving away from the whole white for consumer, aluminum for pro deal.
  17. macrumors regular

Nov 25, 2007
    I would like an aluminum one- I like the looks of the pro line. I have been waiting forever for an update though so I guess I can wait a few more months.

With my luck though Apple will probably ignore the MB and come out with something crazy like a super thin MB minus a bunch of stuff which of course will probably cost way more than the MB. errrrr, wait a second,,,,,,,,,, Dam:(
  18. macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It is called the Macbook Air
  19. macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2008
    Mississauga, ON
    yup if apple descide to loose some revenue on macbooks and go green, then i do think they will release it with coulors. Ipods are in that line, plus next to every other manufacturer stooped limiting consumers to the coulor, if apple wants to offer better hardware and look over dell and sony, they will have to do it, if not this, then next update.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd consider buying an aluminum macbook. I like the smaller size compared to my macbook pro. But i really like my dedicated video. I think a 12'' widescreen MBP would see a better market.
  21. macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2007
    Don't forget the Mac mini ;)

But its nice to see that someone has common sense regarding this issue. I tried to tell this to another person and they went all Apple fanboy on me telling me I just can't afford the higher end Macs and thats the reason I'm trying to say these things.. which made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but whatever. haha.

The iMac went from soft plastic like the iPod to anodized aluminum. The low-end eMac was white plastic that was eventually (a few years late) replaced by the (mostly) aluminum Mac mini.

The MacBook Air is anodized aluminum and it is certainly far from being a "Pro" machine.

The low end iPods (mini, 2G nano, 2G shuffle) made the jump to anodized aluminum before the "high end" iPod did. The "low end" iPod mini was released in 2004. It was more than 3 and a half years before the iPod received its anodized aluminum front. That even came a year after the lowest of all iPods, the shuffle, made the switch.

Apple is definitely not reserving aluminum for the "pro" line any more. It's fair game now.

That said, if Apple switches the MacBook to aluminum, it better be anodized aluminum and not the easily damaged and warping casing used by the MacBook Pro. The MacBook with an anodized aluminum case would be sweet. It'd take care of all of the build quality issues too.
  22. macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Can I quote you? Cause honestly this is one of the funniest posts ive seen in a long time hahaha. :D
  23. macrumors 65816

Aug 5, 2007
  24. macrumors regular

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't see why Apple wouldn't want their laptops to all match with the aluminum. They have a big theme of continuity and products all working together so if they all matched I don't see the problem. They are still different computers it isn't like people are going to say "I was going to buy a Pro but the MB looks the same so I'll get that".
  25. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just like Apple would never have gone aluminum for the Mac mini and iMac, right? The whole "keeping consumer/pro products distinct" is a thing of past. Today, they do it via hardware components, not the aesthetics.