Bringing a US Mac to the UK...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jaffa Cake, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hi folks,

I've a quick query that you guys can hopefully help me on... later this week I'm lucky enough to be getting my hands on a dual 2.0Ghz G5, which has been shipped over from the States. Obviously, I need to sort out the issue of how to power the thing.

I've had a browse on the web, and according to the Apple website the G5s are auto-switching...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75099

Based on this, am I right in thinking that I can simply swap the power cable that comes with the Mac with a standard UK power cable? Obviously I don't want to blow the thing up and end up with a very expensive paperweight...

Thanks in advance,
    Jaffa Cake

2. Alte22a macrumors 6502

yeap thats right, laptops desk, just swap the the power cable and you'll be fine. I travel to the states and abck annd forth. I just brough a dual g4 1.25 from London to NY swap cables and its all fine.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if it's auto-switching, then yes, you'll be able to use the Powermac in the UK. You don't need a new AC Adapter for the UK, either. The AC adapter is dual voltage, that's all. I'm Canadian, and I currently use my Powerbook in Australia (also at 240V like in the UK) without needing to make any adaptations. I had no problems using my Powerbook in London, either. ;) Just get the Worldwide Travel Adapter kit, and you won't need a prong converter for the AC Adapter. You also won't need a UK AC adapter. They're all the same.

How are you going to get the PM to the UK without paying import taxes and such? Laptops are very easy to carry through customs, but a PowerMac? Why not just buy it in the UK?

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a related question: Does the 1 year warranty or 3 year AppleCare carry over from the US? Can you use AppleCare, or the 1 year warranty, while overseas? I thought maybe you couldn't register the PowerMac as being from the UK because the serial numbers may be continent/region specific. I wish to buy an iPod while in Australia, but I need the warranty to be usable in Canada, as I'll be going back in 4-5 months. My alternative is to wait, and I ..... just.....can't.....wait!

4. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

5. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the pointers. I was pretty sure swapping the cable would be fine, but when you're plugging a very expensive piece of kit into the National Grid it doesn't hurt to double check...

To answer your questions Abstract – I mentioned in the OP I was a little lucky... I'm actually getting the G5 as a competition prize.The company running the contest is based in the States and they're handling the shipping and tax stuff – for my part I had a LOT of form filling to do but I reckon it'll be worth it! :)

As for the warranty issue – I'm not too clear on how this will work. I'll try registering it as normal but like you say there might be a problem if the serial numbers are country specific. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see!

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Tell me how the warranty thing goes. I "need" ( ;) ) to get an iPod in Australia and fly back Canaduh in 4 months. :)

7. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, my new best friend has arrived and is working a treat. I got the machine registered without any difficulties – hopefully I won't have to put the warranty to test though! Speaking of which, Abstract... I took a look at the documentation that came with my iPod – there's a copy up at

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ipodwarranty.html

It doesn't say anything specific about getting service abroad, although towards the bottom it does mention the fact that laws of the country of purchase may come into play. I don't know if Canada or Australia have any peculiar laws about warranties and the like though.

Anyway, hope this is of some use to you!

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Thanks. I bought the iPod around a week ago. ;) Its sweet, and I asked Apple, and they told me that it doesn't matter. I was a bit nervous about this, because one person may tell you one thing, but if you phone back and get someone else, they may tell you another answer completely, especially when it's a tough questions.

But since I was about 80% sure that the warranties were valid worldwide (well, for iBooks, PBs, iMacs, PM's, and eMacs), I was pretty certain the iPods would be as well, so I just went for it. :)

I just ran the City-To-Surf run from Sydney to Bondi Beach....14km. It was great, and didn't skip a beat. :)