Bringing my Mac to Europe

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andolues, May 16, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

I am studying in England next year, and I was wondering if their different circut system will damage my powerbook (g4, running on tiger).

Also, any suggestions on electronic convertors(ers?)?

Cheers,
    David.

2. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope will all be fine, your Powerbook will switch voltage. Just get a UK adaptor for your US plug.

3. macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

You only need a plug converter....The british plugs will render any attempt at miniaturization useless, by the way... :rolleyes:

I am sure you will find out soon enough...

4. macrumors member

go to apple.com and look at the specs for your power adapter... it says roughly 110-220 volts AC, all you need is to get a diffrent plug for the adapter, you can get them online or probably at any apple store.

5. macrumors 6502

javiercr

you don't need it

you only need a plug, there isn't 'different circuit system' just different voltages, all laptops of all brands i've seen can take both american and european voltage. My powerbook is american and i live in the UK, the only problem is that it doesn't have a pound or euro symbol in the keyboard :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

I am also heading over to the U.K. this October for school. I already knew the answer to the plug issue but have another question: What is the best way to bring a desktop... or simply "don't"?

7. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    'Don't' sounds pretty good. Seriously? Decent shipping crates and FedExing/UPSing it over - then you'll need step-down power convertors at this end to convert the 240v UK current to your desktop's 110v (presumably) unless it has a autoswitching power supply (some do).

I'd be going for the convertor with the fuse/heat/power surge protection if it was something pricey like a computer.

8. macrumors G4

Mord

what type of desktop are we talking about? i can take my desktop hand luggage (g4 cube) but i doubt you would get away with a powermac,

dont pay for apples extortionate world travel pack, it's a fig 8 plug you can pick them up at any decent store (dixons maplins ect).