Bringing my Mac to Europe

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andolues, May 16, 2005.

1. andolues
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I am studying in England next year, and I was wondering if their different circut system will damage my powerbook (g4, running on tiger).

Also, any suggestions on electronic convertors(ers?)?

Cheers,
    David.

2. Applespider
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope will all be fine, your Powerbook will switch voltage. Just get a UK adaptor for your US plug.

3. ScubaDuc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

You only need a plug converter....The british plugs will render any attempt at miniaturization useless, by the way... :rolleyes:

I am sure you will find out soon enough...

4. punkbass25
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

go to apple.com and look at the specs for your power adapter... it says roughly 110-220 volts AC, all you need is to get a diffrent plug for the adapter, you can get them online or probably at any apple store.

5. javiercr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

javiercr

you don't need it

you only need a plug, there isn't 'different circuit system' just different voltages, all laptops of all brands i've seen can take both american and european voltage. My powerbook is american and i live in the UK, the only problem is that it doesn't have a pound or euro symbol in the keyboard :rolleyes:

6. Sedulous
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I am also heading over to the U.K. this October for school. I already knew the answer to the plug issue but have another question: What is the best way to bring a desktop... or simply "don't"?

7. Applespider
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    'Don't' sounds pretty good. Seriously? Decent shipping crates and FedExing/UPSing it over - then you'll need step-down power convertors at this end to convert the 240v UK current to your desktop's 110v (presumably) unless it has a autoswitching power supply (some do).

I'd be going for the convertor with the fuse/heat/power surge protection if it was something pricey like a computer.

8. Mord
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

Mord

what type of desktop are we talking about? i can take my desktop hand luggage (g4 cube) but i doubt you would get away with a powermac,

dont pay for apples extortionate world travel pack, it's a fig 8 plug you can pick them up at any decent store (dixons maplins ect).