Bringing My PB Onto The Airplane

Discussion in 'Community' started by KBFinFan, Mar 10, 2004.

1. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

Going on a little family trip tomorrow, Walt Disney World, and I was planning to bring along my 15" PB. However, I remember from a while back the problems that PowerbookG5 had w/ TSA and his laptop.

Are the security people that awful when it comes to screening laptops, that I should not even bother bringing my computer?

I have free high speed in the hotel, not to mention how I'd like to use the laptop for downloading pictures from my camera, fooling around on the plane, etc.

But, I'd rather not if the likelihood of my expensive piece of computing is just going to be scratched, trashed, and generally harmed.

Thanks as always everyone and I'll say Hi to Mickey for those who want me to.. :)

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i've traveled a bit with my PB and haven't had any problems. make sure that YOU take it out of the bag ahead of the time, YOU put the laptop on a tray and YOU put that tray on the belt leading to the x-ray machine.

i've never had any of the screeners handle my laptop thus far...

perhaps most of the problems come from hurrying to take the laptop out of the bag and screeners get impatient? the key is to remember that the laptop needs to be screened on its own. no bag, no case, etc.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've traveled a bunch with my Ti, and the most I've encountered is the hassle at the screening line. Taking it out to be screened can be a pain when u have to empty your pockets, take off your shoes, and have a camera bag & luggage with u.

As for being on the plan, no problems. I didn't take my Ti with me last time I traveled though, as I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of it. ;)

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Ive taken my TiBook with me to Hawaii (kauai, maui, oahu), California, the Cayman Islands, and various other states and have never had one single screener handle my powerbook. You just take the laptop outta your bag, put it in the tray, and pick it up on the other side. Its pretty painless, as long as you handle everything yourself.

The only problem I ever has was with the case itself. Its a Zero Halliburton aluminum case, and the screeners were kinda worried about it. They asked me all sorts of questions about it, why I had it, what was in it, etc etc etc. Kinda funny.

And I take it everywhere for the same reason as you--downlad my photos at the end of a day on vacation....kinda relive your day. Its fun. Plus, watch movie while waiting on your flight, etc etc.

---> But dont use the internet when you're on vacation too much! Have fun! Go out! You can play on the internet the other 50 weeks of the year.

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

usually, you'll put it in a tray yourself, you'll take it out yourself. screeners hands don't necessarily have to even touch yr powerbook. at least, that's been my experience. go for it, but take agreensters advice vis-a-vis time on the internet during vacation.:)

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

just make sure what ever you take
    on board the plane has a charged set of batteries. then you should be OK....

7. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the tips everyone! And, yes, I will be sure not to rely on the Internet while on vacation. It's a time to relax and spend time together, not a time to 'surf the net.'

8. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

How good are laptops for travel-entertainment? I know sometimes they turn off power outlets that are not being used to prevent people from using them, and I've never seen any kind of power in a jet. Anyone know if airports are pretty wi-fi friendy?

/long time traveler, first time with more than a Game Boy.

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Most airports are incredibly wi-fi friendly - but you have to pay for service. :(

I've gone on maybe 20 flights within a single question about my PB.

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

As long as YOU handle your laptop in and out of the bag, you shouldn't have any problems there. My laptop went with me from St. Louis Missouri to Chaiyi Taiwan without incident.

While most airports that have wi-fi charge for it, I can tell you a spot in LA International that has free wi-fi. I would suggest moving around a bit since wi-fi coverage is not necessarily the same all over the airport. The place I know in LA International is outside in the main terminal area, but it just because a VIP lounge signal is extending beyond the lounge itself. :D

11. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Got back on Wednesday night, vacation was great, and my laptop made it there and back without any trouble. Just had to take it out of it's case and put it in a bin to go through the X-ray machine. Came in handy for downloading photos from the digital camera, but I really didn't use it for anything else. Tried to avoid the Internet, although checking the weather was handy.

No trouble whatsoever...

Thanks as always everyone!

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Were the security people at the Orlando airport awake?

There have been a few reports on the news that they've not been paying attention as people went through the line.

I was out at Epcot Center a couple of Saturdays back and they had really relaxed their security checks as well.

13. isus macrumors regular

i'm going to be travelling with a pbook this summer, and i might as well save everyone the hassle of saying "this was talked about before"...

it's ok to let the pbook get x-ray-ed?

i'm kinda surprised about that, i mean, so much can screw up a computer, and x-rays screw up film and blah blah blah.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

there have been anecdotal reports about disk drives being damaged, but i don't believe this is really the case... frankly, laptops are x-ray safe because they have to be. in the early 90s they had a lot of people 'accidentally' hollowing out computers to put coke in, oops. simply turning it on doesn't screen them anymore, because smugglers found a way around that. Airports are forced to x-ray them, and computer companies are forced to be sure everything inside isn't going to be effective.

tho i'm surprised they can get good scans inside, with the metal casing. like they're paying attention anyway...

paul

15. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

WOW, you guys got lucky at the airport...the last time I flew..LAX to PDX (Portland), the lady behind the x-ray freaked out when my 17" PB went in there. She had to call over 2 more people to look at the radar. When it finally came out of the x-ray they took it out of hte tray and into the back room. 5 minutes later they came out and told me I was ok to go to the terminal. I thought that was odd... and no, i do not have a bomb in my powerbook.

16. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Some strange things I have noticed.

- AlBook's do not allow X-Ray's to transverse their shells, so they show up as large objects on the machine which some security staff have issues with.

- iBook's are generally treated with either suspicion or lack of respect because they do not look like a laptop

- Airport security are generally very lax with laptops and will not check to see if they actually work (where Mac's come in handy with sleep). I am worried about this....

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Sounds like the lady had never seen such an exquisite piece of hardware before...

:p

18. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

How about if the powerbook is running when you run it through the xray. Like maybe folding or something intense like that. Would that cause problems?

19. Santiago macrumors regular

It shouldn't, but why the heck (and how) are your running your laptop closed on battery power?

20. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I didn't say I had done it (or whether it was possible), it was just wondering if xrays would mess up anything (nothing permanent, but maybe a kernel panic) while it was running. I would think it would, but I don't know.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Might it help you get through faster if you leave the PowerBook running, so they can most easily see that it is a real computer?

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

X-Rays are no more dammaging to Computers as Bright Lights. If you do take an AluBook, and hav concerns, open the lid to the maximum then run it throught the scanner, that will prevent them from having any problems figuring out what is inside.

I have Traveled Quite a bit on Planes with my TiBook all but one trip was After 9/11. I always have the machine on, and in sleep mode. I always have it out of my satchel when I approach the machines. In comes throught, I have a small conversatition with the Screener on how thin it is, and how cool it looks. While they check my bag for powder residue, I open the lid and get a movie ready for my wait for the plane. When they had me back my bag, I slide my Mac back in, and head off. NEVER any problems.

I've done this in Seattle, Flint, Orlando, Toronto, New Orleans, and Indianapolis.

TEG

23. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

I've flown through:

OKC, MCI, BNA, RDU, ORD, DFW, LGA, MDW, & FLL and only once (at MCI) did they do anything with my powerbook at the security checkpoint. Once at MCI -- in many times through there -- they picked it up and swabbed it and gave it back. The TSA agent was quite gentle.

24. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

Im particularly OCD about my 17" powerbook, seing as though it has been the first large purchase I have made using 100% my money. The way anyone but myself handles it is unacceptable..lol ;)