bringing the light to a dark world...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Mar 12, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

The other day while I was in Corpus Christi hanging out with my girfriend I decided to head on over to comp usa store just to see the new iMac demo...hoping they had not sold it yet (Corpus Christi does not have an apple store..so this is why im having to do this). I got there.....saw a bunch of hopeless crap that surronded the iPod. Powerbooks, Ibooks, Apple Flat screens, Software.. (which were convienently hidden in the back..like always) etc. etc.....nothing new. While looking at the mac software, I remembered someone on these forums who had a great idea that I wanted to try out. I can't remember the persons name but the idea that he gave me (not meaning to) was to get enough of those apple books from compusa, you know the ones that are free for the taking near the specific apple hardware, and take them over to best buy and place them in certain areas there. So after recalling this great, fun, wonderful idea I went and retrieved some of those little books..about 10 of them....and then proceeded out of the store, with my girlfriend, to best buy. So now I was on a mission.... a mission to advertise for apple in a store that does not carry apple items/products. I managed to systematically, methodically and meticolously place these little apple books in certan areas... the Tibook one near that crappy new Toshiba laptop...the Powermac G4 one near an HP desktop puter ....etc. etc.... im sure you get the point. I felt somewhat devious...but devious for a good cause. After it was all said and done I thought about the philosophical/theological aspects to my little endevour and tide it to a sort of spirtual battle. What i just did could basically be summed up by one small phrase "Bringing light to a dark world".

Now my question to you all is....

am i wrong for doing this? if not...why not join me in this fabulous idea to help out mac in our own area? i know its only a little help that may not make a big difference as opposed to buying thier product (which we do already) or buying stock but its something new and fun...regardless. Are you all with me or not? Am I just stupid for thinking about doing this...or am an okay cat?

Any comments would be appreciated.

dig it!

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I do a similar thing at PC World.

More details later.

Ensign

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

This reminds me of a story of my own. It has nothing to do with Apple, but it made me laugh.

I had major surgery a few years ago, and my grandparents, who are strict pro-life hard-line Catholics, came to visit me in the hospital shortly afterwards. My mother, who is not religious, recalled with much amusement how my grandmother brought a cache of pro-life "abortion is murder" pamphlets with her and dispersed little stacks of them in various places inside the hospital waiting room.

I'm neither pro-life nor pro choice - I guess I just don't care - but I find fanaticism on either side of the debate highly annoying. As such, I would imagine many people would find such guerilla-Apple-advertising tactics highly annoying as well. I realize that the argument of Macs vs. PCs is not of the same importance or significance as the argument of pro-life vs. pro-choice, but with the zealotry plainly visible on sites like this, it's easy to forget.

I DO NOT want to start any abortion debates. I just thought this tied into the fight-for-light or whatever the hell it's called. I repeat: No abortion debates. Thanks. :)

Alex

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i guess im a mac zealot then. so be it...rock on. im cool with that. beats being a pc moderate and or zealot (if there is such a person). i mean...i dont try to be annoying or mean.... im usually not...i hope.... i just want people to decide for themsleves ...without microsoft making desicions for them...on what platform or computers they want.

my guess is that you are okay now alex...right? i hope so. i know some people like your grandmother there... they are cool cats...im cool with them... im always interested in the eccentrics.

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool! i cant wait to hear the story....be it that pc world is one helluva dark place. thats the big time. that be cool to do that there.

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I realize you don't try to be annoying, and that's good. But sometimes it's the zealotry itself that can be annoying. To non-zealots, anyway (and the non-zealots do outnumber the zealots by far). I'm a Mac user and I find lots of Mac zealots annoying - I can only imagine how a PC zealot would feel.

I suppose guerilla advertising tactics could be successful to a limited extent on customers who enter a store having no idea what they're looking for and relying on pro-Wintel salespeople to help them make up their minds. But those ad tactics would be plenty annoying to many other customers who did know what they want - even possibly so annoying as to turn off a customer who was "looking in" to buying an Apple, which would be my biggest fear. Just an thought, anyway.

And yup, I'm okay, thanks for asking, and my grandma is great, even though she is a religious zealot. :)

Alex

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah i do see your point.

after all... you have to question thos people who go in to best buy to buy a pc. if your going to buy a pc and are not ignorant about them or macs...then you would not go into best buy to buy a pc. thats my guess. so the majority of the people who are in best buy to buy a pc are the ones who need to pick up those little booklets....even if a handful of the many will be annoyed by it. hey...if you won one over... its all worth it..aye! if you annoyed one....well chanced are they did not care for macs in the first place and never were going to buy one...or think about it.

i realize that i may be swimming in greys here but...hey i might not be.

got to do something to help apple out. if it proves to be more bad than good than.... i will stop.

im only wanting to help here...help apple and the people buying computers.

8. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

nah im not a zealot...

a zealot blindly follows the flag or "bleeds in seven colors.

i just recongnize good technology. thats all. what wrong with that? i am impartial.... i do see the beauty and usefullness of those alienware computers.

i dont even send hate mail. so there you go... i cant be a mac zealot.

dig it!

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i guess it's okay as long as you don't annoy too many people. although it would be bad if Apple was accused of getting their people to do this sort of stuff.....

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I love those little info books, in fact I collect them (Now u know I have no life) I have the cube book, origninal airport, 17in studio display(Ugly one), lime green iBook, 600mhz black and white iMac. I need to get some new ones so I can sprinkle them around my local compusa store. Actually a good note about that store, my mom and sister went to buy ink for our printer. So my sister decides to see if they have a new iMac, and they tell her they just got three in and they have already sold. Hey thats good news. I'm gonna visit the Princeton Gateway store and fill it with new iMac phamplets!

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Yo, Dig it

I think what you did was great. Its not like you forced them onto people, just left them aroudn to be found, like buried treasure. Maybe your work will bring just one person over to our side, and they may bring others, who bring others, who bring more, and then they bring more, and exponentially because of you apple gets up to 20% market share in 3 months....AHHHHHHHH HEAD EXPLODING!!!

wow, that came out of nowhere. But seriously, good job. I'd do that but I don't think we have any best buys in NYC.

12. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Well, I'm in on this little plan. As you all know by now, I work for CompUSA, and I can have a basically unlimited resource to those little books. How many do you need?

-Pete

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Guerrilla tactics aside...

What all mac users should do on a regular basis is walk into Best Buy, Circuit City, PC world or whatever, and ask if they have apple computers and/or products. When told that they do not, say oh, thanks, do you know who does sell apple products. Then, you have to turn around, and walk out. They have to see customer demand for the product followed immediately by lost customers because they do not carry the products. Putting pamphlets in the store may expose one or two people to apple products, but if you can make the store think that there are droves of people searching for apple products, then they will/may consider carrying something apple related.

Note: You can't look like a macaholic, you have to look like you are genuinely interested in buying a computer, software, or peripheral and because you can't see a mac, or better yet compare it to the pc's they have, you won't buy from them. Make them think you are completely open minded, but want to see the mac too, and b/c they don't have it, no sale. Bye bye. See ya.

14. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I think everyone here is missing the bigger question...

How did Kross keep his girlfriend after spending his date this way?

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

He has 650+ posts, he couldn't have time for a girlfriend.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have been a pc tech for three years in and around silicon valley...no pc zealots yet

mac zealots and linux zealots mostly...one seems bent on changing the world and the other, well does the world criminal mean anything to you? he he...or more precisely a free world/open source for all and no way for any techie to make any money...actually i have seen some mac types willing to "break" a few laws or step on the other side of decency to get something done

and as far as commiting a crime against microsoft...is that possible? i first heard the word pirate referring to bill gates and he was one of the "pirates" of silicon valley in that movie

so i guess we are all criminals unless there is someone here who has not copied a piece of software, got a music "download", or innocently downloaded a piece of freeware which was anything but free

but it comes to scale and bill gates certainly has been the all time thief in the IT field but it is good that i believe he does not own any part of apple as far as i know...but with day trading, i dare not make any assumptions on what he owns on any given nanosecond

17. dualburn001 macrumors regular

true but he got all of them in only 2 months

18. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Funny!
    My girlfriend was looking for PDA stuff at the time. N by the way shes a recent mac convert because of me...of course. While she would like more time spent with her instead of the tibook she can deal with it... This is why I bought her a PDA.... so she can have something to do while im on my Tibook. Shhhhhh.... its a secret! :D

19. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Actually I do. Wierd aye!

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Time.

800+ and Married, employed full time. I have a Relative Time Distortion device.:D

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, who am I kidding. Once you get married, you have lots more time to post and surf the internet. Work... that's when you post...

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Time.

yo! same here

...aren't you the guy from computerware who worked in capitola (with the ultra cool mountain bike) but got a job in the gaming sector/pc gaming world?

you don't have to answer but i am curious...if that is you, i am that microsoft techie dude who used to always come in and complain about microsoft and lust over your store's then top of the line g4 500s:D

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Nope.

Damn close though. The Wookie had the bike. I was kinda Han Solo to his Chewbacca. Smaller (poundage wise) faster and more HW than SW oriented. The Wookie wound up going off to Ireland for a while......I've mentioned the guy he was working for in other threads as a source of Apple info. That fell through when said Boss had a psychotic episode in front of his Capitalists. Oops. We're both kinda cheezed at the guy 'cause Wookie's my best friend and missed my wedding 'cause he was in Ireland.

ComputerWare closed, sold off it's assets, laid off it's employees and the top 4 guys sold out to Elite. They're back up in 4 locations as "Computerware by Elite". Barf. I had just transitioned to CAD and was training the newbies for Lisa before leaving for good. The Wookie was less fortunate......he's still unemployed. Would you be interested in a Techie consortium?

The Gaming business was ours. We have been refining the concept for a year. At some point we'll need newer machines to write the code and time to write it.

24. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

25. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I'll take some, what do I need to do?