Britain may soon be microchipped

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by benthewraith, Oct 30, 2006.

1. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=413345&in_page_id=1770

Definitely NOT good. :(

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Soon? I think not.

More alarmist nonsense courtesy of The Daily Wail pulled together from hysterical and speculative reports taken and distorted from their original context. It's all full of 'could be' and 'may be'...

That's not to say that we shouldn't be vigilant against the powers of the state but this kind of reporting is absurd.

3. benthewraith thread starter macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'm not really familiar with the Daily whatever, so I don't really know it's reputation. I just saw it. Sorry.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No need to apologise. :)

It's a rag, basically. Full of scare stories and opinion masking as news.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's not like anybody here would be calling the British dogs, that should be be chipped and neutered to keep them out of trouble. ;)

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one thing i do like about TFL tracking all my movements courtesy my oyster card is that, should a bus or train blow up while i'm on it, they'll know to collect my pieces.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Daily Mail, Evening Standard, and London Lite. All sensationalist rags that try and scare the general population at large into mistrusting their neighbours and hating every minority.

The one reason I wish I was seriously rich. I'd buy Associated Newspapers, shut the company down, then bulldoze the office to build a centre for refugees, gay rights and single mothers.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

After reading this thread, I happened to wander over to Wired.com and read this article.

Not only are consumers in the US buying cars which have black boxes on them, but they may or may not know about them and they probably don't have access to the information recorded in them.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

And get over princess diana

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Of course, they'll also know which bus or train to blow up.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Dont like oster, as a student who goes to gigs in london got screwed, i usually by an off peak travel card, but as i was moving around london during peak time my fare got busted up to a peak travel card. Means going in to london just got a whole lot more expensive in the region of 150%.

It is all a bit too transparent to the end user.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AS LONG AS THEY COLLECT MY PIECES.

:)

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The conspiracy nuts here are foaming at the mouth over this one. The tripe coming out of the foil hat crowd paints a picture of microchips that can be tracked by satellite and record your every action at a distance.

I've used these chips. I've been a part of implanting and scaning them in dogs and cats and I can tell you exactly what they are and are not.

They are a simple little device that, in the presence of a very specific and extremely short range radio signal responds by chirping out it's serial number. They have no batteries, processors, RAM or storage. They do nothing until they're stimulated by their specific activation frequency. They're just a tuned circuit with a hardwired unique signal pulse the size of a grain of rice.

The effective range of the readers is about a foot. The reader is handheld and looks a bit like an old style square-battery flashlight. The reader is dumb and simply chirps to confirm the presence of a chip and displays the Serial Number on an LCD. If the pet owner fails to register the chip, the system is effectively useless.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Nowadays, a conspiracy nut is someone who knows what is going on.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Thems fighting words. Are you calling me a spook? Do you assume that because I know what the hell these things are first hand I'm obviously with the Smoking Man and the Illuminatti?

I make some really nice mylar-lined tooks. They're ever so much more comfortable than the old foil-lined kind and look nicer too.:cool: :p

Like one?

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That, and vegamite is going to be banned. :p

Course, nowadays you can never be too paranoid.

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE