British Citizens/inhabitants....please help!

Discussion in 'Community' started by teabgs, Jan 11, 2004.

1. macrumors 68030

teabgs

I am applying for a job In Bristol. They want to know what my salary expectations are. Here is the problem...I've only been in the UK twice, and not for very long periods of time.

I currently live in New York City, and I know what I would ask for here, but I don't want to just convert that to pounds. My question is, what should I expect the cost of living to be while there if I get the job? I don't really know what things cost, utilities, housing, food, transportation, etc. I also have no idea of salary ranges in the UK, though if I knew what my expenses would be...more or less....I could roughly guesstimate, I guess.

so does anyone have any helpful advice on this? thank you so much!!
    I really appreciate it!

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What sort of job? The salary range will obviously be linked to the job you are applying for. You will get paid more for being a doctor than a bin man!

I assume you will be renting a place to live rather thatn buying, at least to start with. This will probably be your largest expense. I'll try and get some links to good sites for this.

Utilities: depends on the supplier (yes you should have a choice). I currently pay arround £100 a quarter for gas and electricity combined (2 bed flat with quite a lot of electronic stuff). Phone is pretty much not used! Mobile (cell) phones are quite reasonable (mine is around £20 a month). ADSL (512kb down, 256 up) is £23 with pipex.

Food. Do you want a list of common stuff and prices? Last time is was in NY it seemed around the same. A pint in London was about the same as NY, Bristol might well be a bit cheaper

Transportation. Do not know about public transport in Bristol but driving is very expensive in the UK. I currently pay over £700 for insurance alone (25 year old white single male). Petrol is much more expensive than the US as well.

Hope that helps. Any specific questions?

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

thanks for your response...yes, I suppose salary depends on the job...I was wondering what it would cost to live at all though.

The job is as an entry level animator. don't know if you have any idea about that sort of salary.

wow....thats a lot for car insurance. I've heard public transportation in Bristol is pretty decent...let's hope so (if I get the job). Do you have a good driving record? don't mean to be too personal, but it does make a difference. How much do cars cost even? and what if I want to lease a car? And petrol is by the liter, right? what's the average liter cost?

I'd definitely be renting a place...I don't know how long the job would be for, it could be half a year or three years. it depends what job/jobs they would put me on. most stuff in the industry is more project based than time based.

last time I was in london a pint was more expensive...this was recently, and it's because the dollar is sucking right now. ;)

4. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I never really pay much attention to how much I pay for my petrol, whatever it is you have to pay it :rolleyes: so there's not much point worrying about it :( but I *think* it's normally around 75-80p (per ltr) depending where you get it :eek: I pay approx £900 car insurance (20, white male, clean liecence, one *little* :D accident). As for car prices take a look at Autotrader to see what you can get for your money.

edit: oh yeah, that £900 car insurance is with 60% no claims :eek:

5. macrumors 65816

kettle

Lets hope you are getting a job for Bristol City Council, they seem to be the ones making the issue of transport the horriffic issue it is. There is no convienience in owning a car and living/commuting to Bristol, unless you work in the council building on College Green, they have the biggest Free Car park in the city, while at the same time systematically removing all possible stopping places by graffiting the roads with yellow lines, pink tarmac(bus lanes and cycle lanes), traffic lights, sleeping policemen and speed cameras. Bristol was a city built on the carriage trade. The only thing keeping the city afloat and the civil servants in sallary and pension are the extortionate business rates coughed up by the successful night life that has sprung up, (to the west of the city) the result of a shopping area that has seen its retail operations closing with restraunts, bars and clubs opening in their place. The night life seems less dependant on the motor car.:) Cycling is a good option, as long as you have a mountain bike, Bristol is half on a very steep hill. (i'll stop now)

petrol used to be in Gallons but it started to sound so expensive that they went continental on us, now petrol seems much cheaper:) 75 - 80 pence per litre.
    Imperial Gallons are Bigger than US Gallons. 4.54609 litres in an Imp. Gallon and 3.785 litres in a US Gallon.

Buying Petrol here would be like paying $4 or more per US Gallon.:)

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

I notice you both mentioned that you're white when talking about car insurance....Now, that seems very peculiar to me. Does ones ethnicity make a difference in car insurance rates in the UK? I know age and gender make sense...but ethnicity?

I'll check out the autotrader webpage...

how many...uh, km per liter do cars usually get? geez....I dont even have any sense of how far a km is without having to do math.

EDIT....kettle: thanks for the info.

Maybe I can not need a car! yay!!!

$4 /gallon!?!?!?!
    :eek: :eek: is that for regular?!?! OH MY GOD. Why does ANYONE drive with prices like that!?! WOW

7. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Actually I only metioned it because robbieduncan did, I have no idea if it is relevent :)

8. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The price I quoted was for regular unleaded.

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

sign me up for the mountain bike. :p

holy crap. What are good webpages to look at so I can get an idea of how much I should be spending on rent? I don't want to get ripped off and pay £300 more a month than I need to. BUt I do need an idea of how much a flat costs around bristol so I can figure out what to ask. :confused:

I'm realizing how much I wouldn't know once I got there...if I get there. Like...yellowpages.com What's the equivalent? and for whitepages? ah, so much to figure out if/when....gotta finish the application and reel first though. :D

10. Guest

caveman_uk

Apparently the average wage in the UK is about £16000 though a lot of people earn less than that. I'd guess a bit more for what you're doing but you'd probably get more in the states. Income tax is banded and the first £4500 is tax free then the next £2000 at 10% then the next £27500 at 22% (i think). Every thing above about £34000 is at 40%. We also pay national insurance at around 9%. So guess on paying at least a quarter to a third of your salary in tax.

Most purchases except food and childrens clothes attract VAT (sales tax) at 17.5%. Food is more expensive in the UK than the US. Beer is quite expensive at about £1 a can (half litre) in shops and at £2-2.50 in pubs.

Driving is extortionate. You pay about 80pence a litre for petrol and (IIRC) £130 a year Road Tax. Car insurance for me is £300 for a small Ford. (I'm 33, married and have a 70% discount as I've not had an accident in years). It's very often cheaper to fly than drive or get the train.

I don't know about Bristol but in the South East outside London I'd guess on around £400-£600 per month rental on a small flat / apartment.

Are you wondering how we afford to live here yet?!?!?! :(

11. Guest

caveman_uk

yell.com

What's whitepages?

12. thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

whitepages is for people. Yellow is businesses.

haha. New York is pretty expensive my friend. my expenses now are at least $1500/month which is about £2760/month. so, it doesnt seem too bad to me. of course, a lot of that is student loan money, so i'm not making that money yet...once I'm out of school my expenses will be a bit higher...I figure around $2000-2400/month. So, I'm used to the idea of getting my wallet destroyed

I'm not sure how the tax would work, being foreign. I guess I just pay UK tax and not US....I better not have to pay any US taxes...

the thing is, I'd do this job for just enough to keep me alive to do it...but i'd rather make enough to at least pay off my student loans at the same time.

If I can do without a car that's great. and I don't need internet at home...*sigh*

I imagine I'd only be in the 10% tax area. that's not too bad...it's a little less than the amount in taxes I end up paying here...and I hardly make anything working for the university.

the national insurance....is that health insurance? What does that cover?

thanks everyone!

13. macrumors 65816

kettle

You have to drive, there is no other way. I live in the middle of nowhere, the agricultural industry has beed obitorated and my only source of income is via commuting to and from the nearest big city. There are lots of buses to everywhere, none of them arrive when you need them or travel between the required locations, they are too expensive and of the people who do travel at least one will have a hygiene problem capable of polluting the entire vehicle. Have I mentioned care in the community?

Regular unleaded is what i quoted. 4star petrol (LRP)(5 star was gotten rid of in the 70's) is about 10 pence above unleaded price.

When interest rates go up (they will) you will see the largest civil unrest ever experienced in the UK. (People have borrowed up to their necks because this is the easiest way to survive in the U.K.). This is when they will force us to give up our Sovereignty and bow to the Europian Soviet yet to be fully empowered.

14. Guest

caveman_uk

Wrong way round I'm afraid. £1=$1.80.

So $1500 = £833

15. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

haha, yeah, the $ is getting p0wnd by the £ :p :D

16. Guest

caveman_uk

The 10% tax means earning between £4500 and £6500 upto $10000 a year. That's nothing. You might as well be getting welfare.

National Insurance is a tax that supposedly pays for the state health system and pensions etc....

17. Guest

caveman_uk

Oh dear, should have thought of that when they borrowed more than they could afford. Personally I haven't so I won't be sorry for those that we're too stupid not to.

18. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Nooooooooooooooo! F**k Europe! I don't want the Euro, I like my pounds that you very much :mad:

19. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I mentioned the "white thing" as this is a question you answer on the forms you fill in for insurance so I assume that it may make a difference (probably not a good one!). I have a perfect driving record: no points on my license (i.e. no speeding tickets etc) and no accidents.

Also we still use miles here! Petrol is sold in liters yet all road signs are in miles. Mad eh!

National Insurance covers the NHS, state pension and benifits. Basically if you are ill you will get treated on the NHS for free but not always quickly! You can wait months for an operation. You also need to pay for prescription medicines (unless you are unemployed or old in which case I think it is cheaper or free).

On the tax front I'm not sure whether you would pay local tax or US taxes...

20. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Yeah - not good to borrow on the old credit...

...unless you wanted to buy onto the property ladder, that is.

21. thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

a few things...

1) obviously you can see that I'm not terribly good at math. This is why I make images.

2) I thought that the tax was 10% until you make £27500...though after (maybe) doing the math, if the salaries are about equal to US ones, then I would be getting more than £27500. Oh well, who need money anyway. as long as I can do what I love...and eat.

3) not that it matters now...but I thought it was 1.84 $ per £. ...stupid dollar. That was an awesome part of my last london trip :p :(

story time: I was actually in london (my first time) when Bush announced the war...I hadn't converted my money into £ yet, and figured I'd do it the next day...not knowing the announcement was coming. (I was coming from amsterdam, so I had not been up on news) Should have paid the fee and NOT waited to goto American Express when it opened the next day. I lost a good deal of money over night..

edit: Could someone make a call to bristol for me (if it wont cost you anything)? I tried calling because I have a few questions about the application...but it keeps telling me that the call cannot be completed as dialed. But I dont know why...what if it's the phone card I'm using and the phone number IS valid...?
    I just want to know if it is a working number or not....you can hang up right away :D :p

22. macrumors 68020

Chappers

And don't even think about buying a Mac here (or any other electronics) cus you'll be in for another shock.
    Bristol is very nice and the people are friendly.

Even iLife will cost you $72 (£39) here

Good luck

Apparently the average Brit pays about 39% in various taxes (hidden and not so hidden)

23. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

24. thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

I'll be bringing my mac with me...and other electronics of course.

I can't use a british keyboard anyway...It slows me down with all the keys in different places. ;)

I can hook you up with iLife for $29...education discount baby! We should start an underground iLife ring between the US and UK :p :p :cool:

25. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where do I send the money? $29 = £15.65 [​IMG]