British Court Nixes Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OnceUGoMac, Jul 31, 2006.

1. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Looks like the U.S. isn't the only one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14120003/

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You know, this is just stupid. Seriously.

I thought we were done with looking at people as "men," women," "black," or "white," when it came to the granting of rights and priveleges. Humans are humans.

This is no different that telling a white guy he can't marry a black woman.

Christ it's beyond comprehension for me. Equal rights are equal rights.

Why so many people are for stripping one group of citizens of a right that all others are granted....

3. vniow macrumors G4

Hm.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't think any of my seven sisters, their husbands, or their collective 18 kids think I am a danger to their family unit. :rolleyes:

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the court got it right, civil unions for gays. In religion and in Govt Marriage has allways been with the Opposite sex. Marriage is what is, not what some would like it to be.

6. mpw Guest

Removing religion from the equation, what do you see the difference is between a marriage and a civil union in the eyes of a government?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Less ceremony & more taxes?? you got me.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Not surprising in the slightest. British judges are well known for being 20 years behind the general population on social issues. This is a setback but not the end. They'll take the case to Europe next.

9. mpw Guest

Exactly. The only argument to diffirentiate between mixed and same-sex marriage is religious.

And religion has no place in legislation.

Any taxes argument can't be made either, it's preposterous. What do you mean, tax breaks for mixed sex marriages? On what grounds? What happens when a gay man and woman who are both single choose to marry for the tax break?

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

"Is" and "has always been" is a pretty weak argument when we're talking about fundamental civil rights.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh God, I'm going to get banned again. :) Careful DHM. :)

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Unlike the US, Britain does allow civil unions.

13. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

What I don't understand is how two guys getting hitched poses any threat whatsoever to society. Why are they putting the "traditional family unit" on a pedestal?

I see a pattern of so-called "traditional" people causing so many problems in this world. I am really just speechless. And pissed. :mad:

14. Queso macrumors G4

I think the "conservatives" hate the idea of gay marriage because it goes against everything they like to spout about gay people. They can't cope with the idea that same-sex couples can have loving monogamous relationships and build a life together. In their mind, a gay person has to be promiscuous, into drugs, prone to depression and self-hatred, and eventually die young of a sexually tranmitted disease. They simply can't tolerate anything outside of this stereotype.

15. mpw Guest

Just one recent example of what he^ said.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

17. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Marriage has always changed and adapted to different cultures and has changed with time as well. You can't say that marriage is one thing for everyone in this world. So, should we go with marriage as it is defined in the Bible? Some rules about marriage defined in the Bibile:

Exodus 2:21

Joshua 15:15-17

Should the female getting married not have any say in who she marries? Should a father be able to marry off his daughter without her consent or will? After all, marriage doesn't change, right?

Marriage has changed and it will continue to change for as long as it is around.

e

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Marriage is what it is, Man & Woman and they should be given Tax Breaks to help create more boys & girls so govt can tax the sh.. out of them when they grow up. Its a endless cycle throwing in Gay marriage is like throwing sand in a engine.:D

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- thanks for that. So we're sand in the engine? I don't even know quite how to respond to that.

BTW- uh, we gay people do raise families. I know that's hard for you to hear, but it's true. :rolleyes:

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Yeah but you not making little new tax payers!

22. Lau Guest

So couples who can't have kids should probably only be allowed a civil partnership as well then. And if you decide not to have kids? Obviously that's just wrong and evil :rolleyes: , but presumably people who choose that should only get a civil partnership as well. And post-menopausal women shouldn't be allowed to get married at all. And people who adopt or foster kids instead of squeezing another few out into an overpopulated world* should only be allowed a civil partnership as well, because obviously they're just not making the effort...

*Edit: No offence meant to those who have kids, just making the point in a slightly, er, meatheaded fashion, that marriage and kids are two different things entirely, and people choose things for different reasons.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

adopting an unwanted child and providing a good home is one of the most noble things i can think of.

and the purpose of marriage is to form a family unit -- children or not -- which operates in a healthy society. that's gender-independent.

lee, scem, and everyone else: for the record, i fully support marriage rights for every adult. we'll get there, eventually.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wont happen in my view, way way to many religions and control freaks like our current Congress & President who have allready spent your future childrens taxes. Now your telling them you arent going to create taxpayers who's money has allready been spent?

25. Lau Guest

So you support gay marriage then, even though you don't believe it will happen?

Edit: By your posts above, no, you don't. Leave any real or imagined tax problem up to the government. Why do you not support it?