British dictionary in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Project, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Project macrumors 68020

So I recently switched, and intend to use Pages as my word processor of choice for an upcoming paper at University. However, its marking all of my British spelled words as being incorrect with the red underline. I tried to change the dictionary.app, but only had British pronunciation, and not spelling. The only substitute i've found is highlighting the offending word, going to Text Inspector and select the language as British English. I can only do this highlighted words at a time. This is driving me crazy - is there anyway to change to British as the standard or do I have to use Word?

Thanks in advance.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Check in the International section of System Preferences to see what language is preferred. If it says simply "English" that really means USAian English.

To fix it, click on the Edit List... button and add British English if it is not already shown. Then, make sure you have dragged British English to the top of the list. From then on, Pages should do the right thing for you.

3. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    British English spell checking is in there - you just have to find it. The Dictionary app though is US only although it recognises most UK spellings.

To make your spellcheck British try the following.

Click on a text box somewhere within Mail, Safari, Pages etc

Go up to Edit - Spelling. Click on Spelling rather than 'Turn on Spelling etc' - paraphrasing since not at my Mac - and choose British English. Your Mac will now check UK spellings.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That is the weird thing in Pages. It doesn't use the standard spelling UI and that option is missing! (They really need to make switching around easier and more consistent. I grew up with both, still have to switch between the two when working on different things, and end up with text everyone thinks is wrong without the little red squiggles to nag me. )

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

7. al3000 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help, I think apple should make it more obvious during the initial set-up of the OS.

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Oh that's so much better - now my favourite words aren't covered in red gloop :p
    Ta muchly
    Now all I need is a Danish translation widget - anyone know where I can get one?

9. starnox macrumors 6502

It's annoying that you can't make a language default. I hate having to change it to british english every document I write :(

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ya its a bit of a pain alright. Still though at least its a feature now.
    ;)

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Ah many thanks!

I work as tech officer for a small UK company, and everyone has been bugging me about this for a WHOLE year! (this has also been an issue in Panther, and the fix works there too.)

You would think that as the install/ first startup process asks which country you are in, and also asks which national time/date/currency format you want to use, it would also check out which dictionary you wanted to use... :confused: :confused:

I had a look at the rest of the optional list - interesting reading - I notice Welsh and Gaelic are in there too, and have no idea what 99% of the squiggles at the bottom of the list represent..

'U.S English' is also there as a hidden option too..

.. RedTomato ..