British Flying Taxis Start Production Within Five Years!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chanoc, Nov 9, 2004.

1. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

link

The makers of a British designed "Jetpod" taxi, which they hope to introduce to British cities within five years, insist they will definitely take you to your destination by the shortest route - at 350 mph (563 kph).

Developers Avcen believe they can offer a flying taxi service which cruises at up to 228m at little more than the cost of a road-bound black cab.

Due to undergo "proof of concept" test flights in the next 18 months, the £500,000 ($1.3m) Jetpod would be able to travel the 38km from London to Woking in just four minutes.

Faster than a helicopter, Heathrow to central London would take less than half that time and, so Avcen claims, cost less that £50.

If they are successful the nightmare grind down the motorway to the country could become a thing of the past.

"We're not talking about travelling to Paris. The whole point about this aircraft is that it will scoot you from the countryside to the centre of London in two or three minutes."

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very futuristic concept. Very similar to "The Jetsons," noted that taxi will be call "Jetpod." Wonder is this is just a coincidence or something else. This will be a great service in congested areas.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

5 years I doubt...maybe 15 to make the tech perfect and sort out all the laws, safety issues, navigation and landing...

This thing shouts terrorist poor-man SCUD/Tomohawk missle to me...

4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly, the car companies wont be happy with this, and they arent gonna let it get too far because they need thier income

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sounds interesting, but can those of you on the East side of the Big Pond give us on the West side give us an example of the promises made for the metric challenged?

7. pooky macrumors 6502

38 km = ~24 mi in 4 minutes, roughly 6 mi/min or 360 mph.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ah, but which side of the sky will they drive on?

Pretty cool concept, athough I do not believe the timeframe given. Perhaps in 10-15 years something like this could take off (no pun).

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given that, I would say also 10 to 15 years at least.

Heck it will take us at least 10 years to get a subway from DC to Dulles airport (25 miles away).

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't think the issue really stems from cars, car companies, or proof of concept. I think the issue is air traffic control. We don't have a way to control safely that many flying objects. You can't just build highways in the sky. On the ground if a couple objects bump people get out and walk away. In the sky well most likely you'll return to the ground in an uncomfortable hurry.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually NASA has been looking in to this issue for a number of years. In fact Discovery Wings had a "Future Wings" show that talked about the concept.

It is possible because of computer control to have highways in the sky according the scientists. Same thing with the "skycar" mentioned here.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It would have to be nearly completely computer controlled flight except take off and landings. What of birds and other variables though.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They're British, so they'll drive on the left side of the sky. They will also be able to release them in Australia, NZ, Japan, and the other 'left' countries, while all the backwards countries will have to wait for a right drive model :p

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If they're smart they'll try to get onboard by either developing their own or buying this company.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Maybe flying from farm to farm - flying those into the city isn't practical since you still need a run way. And with all the infrastructure you'll need, airport services, flight control/management - nah - won't happen.

There has been some work on a similar concept, but its not a jet. It uses four turbofans in place of the wheels and it can lift the car vertically - like the Harrier Jump Jet and cruise at around 200 mph. This to me seems much more practical than a JetPod.

This is actually a working prototype.....

http://www.moller.com/skycar/

D

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

No chance...

A) The Brits will invent it.

B) The Americans will find a way to make a world-changing industry out of it.

C) The Japanese will fine-tune the reliability and quality.

If this takes more than 10 years, substitute China for B) and Korea for C).

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The timeline does seem to be quite aggressive.
    The Big Dig in Boston has been going on since '91
    The Big Dig

And seems to have its problems even before it is finished.
    Report: Boston's Big Dig full of leaks

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But this is also based on the NASA work on highways in the skies concept.

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Is it just me...

Does anyone else think that putting people who talk on cell phones, put on make-up, fiddle with their radios and carry on conversations in charge of a flying vehicle is an absolutely horrible idea? Unless something like this can be completely automated, it will never take off (pun intended). Inevitably, the manufacturers would face lawsuits because of negligent flyers and go out of business in no time.

Let's put this at 25 years down the line with a difficult to achieve licensing system and HUGE insurance costs. Think of these being little more common than helicopters are today.

Flying car ideas have been around for at least 50 years. I remember seeing back issues of Popular Science I think...

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think you're right about the automation aspect of these things. We won't see them until they're able to fly themselves - because if left to humans, it would be a disaster in the making. And plenty of people would get killed....imagine FUI (flying under the influence) :D

D

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Maybe I missed something. I thought these were "taxis", not driven by the individuals. Still some of the same problems, but not as wide open.

22. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

At the moment its a taxi service we're talking about not something Osama can rent from Rentascud.

23. lalcan macrumors regular

It will happen, sooner or later we'll have to get off the streets, whether it's by flying or by staying home to work, a radical change is needed asap, people are wasting more money and cash getting to work/school/shopping/entertainment than ever.

24. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Don't know about your side of the pond, but the taxis in Philly are pretty dented up and a ride in most of them can be a fairly harrowing, risk-filled experience. I'd imagine that the skill to maneuver these things is not something your average Pakistani immigrant is going to pick up over the weekend...

Did you ever see "The 5th Element"? That's what I'm envisioning (maybe not the intensity, but the irreverence of the taxi drivers and the state of their vehicles)...

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty intense. Not sure we would ever see that, at least not for a l-o-n-g time.