British GP off again...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Oct 20, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

or just ensure that we have an interesting season for a change. get rid of monaco, soooo boring. belgium is usually good as it rains loadds = crashes! so maybe we should keep the british gp and put it in the spring or autumn to ensure it rains!

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hey Bernie....

*warning, offensive material follows*

**** YOU! Stop being a greedy little ****. You've made enough money from one race this season to pay for what it cost you for a single year for the TV rights to F1. Congratulations on being an *******.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well said! he is very very greedy and the only reason he wants more money is so that he can put it in his pockets!

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i think bernie already has so much money that he himself doesn't care about it anymore. it's just that... well... he's quite old. he wants to put things in such a condition that anyone who will eventually replace him will have a good position to begin with. currently there are a lot of instances that TRY to do as they wish, but bernie stands in the way. if bernie died tomorrow, the whole formula one would change dramatically within next five years.

granted, it SEEMS that bernie is greedy. it also SEEMS that schumi is some kind of a god. if you only judge by how it first looks like...

EDIT: i'd like that the british gp would keep its place. silverstone has almost always seen an interesting race. one of the best tracks, in my opinion.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I know I'll get lambasted for saying it... but I'm more on the side of Bernie than the BRDC.

It's not right that such an elitist and wealthy 'organisation' such as the BRDC should expect to get everything at a discount (or indeed for free) whilst they continue to (like Bernie) wish to line their pockets with yet more cash at the expense of others (racing fans, other countries and other sports).

For years the BRDC have done NOTHING, SQUAT, ZERO for Silverstone. And when they do blow the $$$ it's on a multi-million pound BRDC Paddock and Grandstand for THEMSELVES and NO ONE else... ooooh and ruin the classic layout!!

For years the BRDC have been warned about their facilities, and how they need to dramatically improve them otherwise they'd lose the race. For years they've had the opportunity to reinvest in the circuit and it's facilities yet every year nothing is done.

They've turned down offers of help from both Bernie (who was willing to invest in the circuit and bring it up to China/Bahrain/Malaysia standards, and the Mansell/Brand Synergy offer of ploughing in £200 million and thus guaranteeing the Silverstone race for ATLEAST the next 7 years (matching the above circuits contracts) because it would compromise their stranglehold on the circuit itself, that same stranglehold that has seen the circuit fall further and further behind other circuits around the world.

As much as I want the Silverstone race to be on the calender, and as JFreak has pointed out, a circuit that throws up some great racing year in year out, I don't think it's fair that just because it's the British GP that it deserves special treatment at the expense of other countries and Bernies own personal bank balance.

Both Bernie and the BRDC are as bad as each other though... I just think this is more the doing of the BRDC than Bernie.. they know the fee to host a race, and they refuse to pay it... (it's total bollock$ that they say they can't afford it). It's a shame that Rockingham can't step in (lack of seating would be the biggest issue along with the pit facilties I would think) because that's a top notch circuit... and is free of the arrogance of the BRDC.